View Single Post
Old 25-07-17, 03:26 AM

Default Too much glue in Gesso recipe

Hey All,

So happy to finally be able to post on this forum. I have been practicing with Tempera for several years and this site has proved to be an invaluable resource. Last I checked membership was closed so quite excited to be writing this finally.

I have a question related to gesso panels. Have been making gesso with Kama Pigment's extra refined rabbit skin glue and in general it has worked well. I decided to try my luck and modify the standard recipe a bit as I had wound up with hairline cracks all over some panels. I think this time I used too much glue - after seven coats of the glue the gesso has almost a gloss too it and is very hard. It is still sandable and I was able to get it relatively smooth but the gloss is still present. I am worried about the paint adhering to the panel - if the surface is too hard/smooth. Should I be worried about this or should I just go ahead? Anyone have experience with this?

Alternatively, I paint in is oil as well, so at the moment my plan is to throw an oil ground over top and use them for oils instead. It would be a shame, but I can always make more.

Look forward to speaking to you all. Cheers!

Tyson