View Single Post
Old 02-12-17, 03:59 PM

Thanks, Koo. I appreciate the information.

I made some simple tests with e.t, casein, oil, and gouache paints on this, and they all seemed to adhere well, but haven't yet tried anything advanced with them on this surface. Honestly, I tend to avoid using a primer unless I'm painting with oils, which I haven't used in awhile.

As I mentioned in my own review of this, I wouldn't describe this as a gesso. It's an oil primer with a casein emulsion that makes it water-miscible. It makes sense that if you use a paint on it that is heavy with water, that can be problematic. If anything that is touted as being more convenient to use forces you to have to alter your preferred method of working, then it isn't really worth using, in my opinion. I still have a little bit left in the jar, so I may get around to doing more work with it later.

One last observation I made: it comes in a plastic jar with a screw-on lid. One big reason I dislike using jars (glass or plastic) of this sort to store mediums is they tend to let air leak in. This jar was no different. When I opened it recently I found about a third of the contents at the top had dried solid, even though the lid was screwed on tight. If anyone buys some of this, be sure and use it up quickly.