Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 04-08-17, 07:50 PM
Gettin' Eggy With It

Default NP Tempera Ground

I'm looking with interest at Natural Pigments Tempera Ground. I'd like to buy some but am unsure of how much to buy. The jars come in 8, 16, and 32 ounces; does anyone know how far it goes? Like, "8 oz covers 1 sq ft with 4 coats" kind of thing. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-08-17, 06:14 PM

It is difficult to provide such information because it is entirely dependent upon how thickly each coating is applied and the type of support to which it is applied. Based upon our own testing we had the following results on hardboard:

The first coat will absorb into the hardboard and will require a lot more product than the second coat, where absorbency is lessened. In our testing, it took approximately 0.5 fluid ounce of Rublev Tempera Ground to cover one square foot of hardboard for the first coat, which is approximately 250 square feet per gallon. It took less than half that amount for the second coat, which is approximately 500 square feet per gallon. Applying additional coats will require slightly less ground for each coat.
Old 05-08-17, 08:24 PM
Gettin' Eggy With It

Thanks! That's helpful information.
Old 05-08-17, 09:07 PM
Tempera Painter

By the way, this ground also works really well for metalpoint drawing. I've just coated several MDF panels as well as some 300# watercolor paper with it, tinted in various colors. I started with a relatively thick layer but applied successive layers thinner and thinner, each one a slightly different hue, all adding up to a beautifully rich surface (akin got what Victor Koulbak creates in his drawing, for those of you who know his work). In the past I've used homemade traditional gesso for metalpoint; the benefits of using the Natural Pigments Tempera Ground is its convenience (comes in a jar!) and doesn't need to be warmed.

Koo

Last edited by Koo Schadler; 05-08-17 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 09:16 PM
Tempera Painter

Another question for George about this ground: is it correct to presume that at some point it will cure and no longer be water soluble? I am wet sanding the surface of the panels I just made, which is nicely dissolving and redistributing the ground to create a very smooth surface - but at some point will it no longer respond to wet sanding (aside from being abraded)?

Thanks,

Koo
Old 07-08-17, 01:12 PM

Their website advises against using this on a flexible surface, such as canvas (or paper) even if mounted to board beforehand, in order to avoid potential cracking. Doesn't mean you can't, but it's your risk. There's also advice to prepare the board first with two coats of acrylic medium (their Fluid Medium or Golden's GAC100 would work) to avoid discoloration, but that should also allow you to apply the first coat more thinly.
https://www.naturalpigments.com/tempera-ground.html