Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 08-06-06, 02:20 AM

Default ET Study of Hawaiian Helmet

8"x10"

Did this study of a Hawaiian helmet for a painting that I will be working on in the near future. Thought I'd post it up for comments/critiques. Thanks and take care!
Old 12-06-06, 04:22 PM

Default ET Study of Hawaiian Helmet

Hi Brian,

I like the interesting textures you got in the helmet study, and also the subtle 'rainbow-feeling' colors. It will be interesting to compare the painting with the study. I do my 'studies' for egg tempera paintings as charcoal drawings with some pastel thrown in. I guess that's probably 'cheating', right? Just kidding, in a technical sort of way. Seriously, however, doing a study is a great thing that people don't bother with as much as they once did. It really helps to solve some of the problems in advance of the painting, even done as a black and white study, for the values, quality and mood of the piece. I'm reallly glad I started doing them again.

Studies also have their own value as works of art, as this one does. I have sold two of my recent 'studies' for nice prices, and now have a 'commissioned study' that I am working on this week. I like doing this, because it is less work for still-good-pay, and as Koo Schadler has pointed out, for egg tempera painters, some good studies can stretch out a nice show in a gallery setting and compensate for the greater time invested in the more formal egg temperas.

Mona
Old 12-06-06, 07:14 PM

Default Aloha

Aloha Mona,
Thanks for the comments, and yes, I know what you mean about artists not doing too many studies for their paintings these days. I probably do at least 10-15 studies before I start a major painting. I do a complete pencil rendition to get the composition down, and I do a bunch of watercolor/drybrush and a few small egg tempera studies as well to get the color scheme down. My mentor when I was taught the technique learned old school ways. I was very fortunate at a young age to be taught this discipline. Thanks and take care.