Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 19-07-06, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Il prend un Européen pour confondre un Américain :!: :grin:

A quick edit, just read that Brussels is the bi-lingual capital of Belgium (Bert, Sabine could well speak 3 or more languages). Anyway as a half Dutch person will just add
Het neemt een Europeaan om een Amerikaan te verwarren :!: :grin:

Sabine you are doing fine.
Old 20-07-06, 05:44 AM

I do speak 3 langages (french, english and spannish), but my Dutch is very bad, shame on me :oops: ....

You're right Rob, in Brussel people speaking fluently 3 or 4 langages are quite common...
Old 20-07-06, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Sabine,
Sorry for not replying sooner. Our house has been under construction, we have had a steady stream of visitors, our cars are taking turns breaking down in creative ways, etc. (If I could speak 3 languages, it would probably be words I couldn't print here...) Anyway, I haven't been on the computer much...
The wooden block I use is a piece of maple 2 inches square that one of my students gave me. Before that I used a block of pine, but it disintegrated after a while. I never had any discoloration from either one.
The only problem I have had is with the rabbitskin glue in my last batch of gesso. Some of it absolutely refused to dissolve, leaving little brown specks in the surface. They actually kind of disappeared when I smoothed with my block and don't seem to affect my painting so I'm not going to worry about it.
With egg tempera, there is always something.
Adios, ciao, au revoir, etc.
Phil
Old 21-07-06, 08:54 AM

Not forgetting Tot ziens and hasta luego :lol: (be careful with cars)
Old 30-07-06, 09:09 PM
JohnH

Phil, it's funny (or maybe not) that I recently ran into the same not-completely-dissolving glue! Years ago I bought 3 containers of glue that once I found was perfect for my gesso... but when I went to use some from the last full container it refused to make a perfect solution! Soaking it overnight and heating it forever it seems would not make all the glue dissolve! I'm wondering what happened to it in storage? I now have to hunt for a new supply.

I was given a nice block of rock maple and though it worked perfect in smoothing my gesso it did yellow it :-( ...maybe I should try and find just regular maple?