Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 20-08-05, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Brian,
I appreciate that you may want to represent the landscape as is but it is up to us as artists to produce a good painting and throughout the ages painters have had to move elements to produce a good painting. Nature is not always kind to us and cannot provide the perfect composition and in many cases there is no way a good composition can be achieved. Throughout the ages painters have had to alter aspects of the painting. John Constable had to move Dedham Church some half a mile from its location because it didn't fit in with the composition.
A little anecdote relating to artist licence..........
Many years ago, in the days of oil paints (Spit!!), I was commissioned to paint a river scene fequented by a fisherman. With sketch book and camera I visited the location. After roaming around the river bank the best aspect was found however there was a scrap yard directly in view!!! No problem, that could be replaced with trees.
Photos and sketches made and I returned to the studio and set about the painting. As a last touch I placed, from photos, the fisherman standing in the river.
A phone call later and the fisherman arrived at the studio.
"I like it, exactly what I want. But there is something not quite right. Can't put my finger on it at the moment"
I suggested that the fisherman took the painting and 'live' with it for a few days to see what the problem was.
A few days later I got a phone call.
"I've got it.....I know what is wrong"
With paint box in hand I dashed round to the fishermans house.
Fisherman. "I know what the problem is"
Me. "Go on, tell me." (Thinks that the scrap yard has been omitted!!)
Fisherman. "The legs on the fisherman are too long."
Me. (Gads, what does he know about proportions. Is he confusing the reflections etc. etc.) "Well OK, I've got my paints, it won't take long to shorten them."
Fisherman. "Lad, don't shorten them, I'll drown, where you've placed me I'm standing in 10 feet of water!!!!"
Nuff said.
Let painters paint and produce an idylic art piece that comes from the heart and photographers provide a less idylic sterile truth.
Look forward to No 4!! Keep up the good work.
Rob

Dennis,
Where on earth did Yams come from. That hat you wore in NYC has possibly adversely affected you!!!!!
Old 21-08-05, 07:35 PM
Administrator

OK Rob. Two answers: Yams come from the earth (sweet potatoes, you know). Also, scan back to the original post!
Forgetaboutthehat. I seem to recall a questionable scarf about yer neck.
D
Old 22-08-05, 05:47 PM
Administrator

OK Dennis - overlooked the comments re Yams in the original post, 'tis me old age. Over here we only get worms out of the earth. (Except if your name is Jen who manages to grow proper potatoes etc!!!!)(Had never heard of Yams till I visited your great country, Mona Conners invited us to dinner one night and served us Yams with oranges - pretty good eh!!)
Brian, sorry re this private conversation in the middle of your post!!!
Dennis, one day, when the world is ready I will publish the photos!!!!!
Rob
Old 22-08-05, 10:15 PM

Think nothing of it Rob. I should have known better than to mention yams anyway. They've always been the most controversial tubers imaginable.
Old 09-12-05, 02:49 PM
aerdnwahs

Default perfecto

omg you are AMAZING they r so realistic in appearence! i must say my favorite is the first but thats just because i love the ocean, wow still getting over shock i thought they were photographs at first, u can make some serious money off of those!!! best of luck to you! :shock:
Old 13-12-05, 02:15 PM

Default thanks!

WoW! Thank you for the comments. You're making me blush!

But please don't let my embarrassment prevent you from praising me further... :grin:
Old 13-12-05, 11:21 PM

Default Perfecto

:oops: Go ahead and blush. You deserve the praise. Don't change a thing.
Old 20-02-06, 04:08 AM

Default wow!

I was as well very impressed by the paintings. I love the detail and at a glance thought it was a photograph as well. The reflection and smoothness of the water in the upper left hand corner of the first painting is what I am drawn to most in the painting. As a college student just starting into painting, I have not had any training or exposure to egg tempera. I am researching for a paper comparing oil and tempura painting and came across this site and started browsing. I must say that I am intrigued and am interested in trying it out.
Would you mind giving me your opinion in comparing oil and e.t.? Again, I don't know a lot about e.t... what are the pros and cons? (Anyone is welcome to share). I would love to have someone's personal opinion in addition to my book research. Thanks! And I really love your works!

Laura
Old 20-02-06, 02:34 PM

Hi Laura,

I think the first difference you'll notice is that egg tempera painters tend to be smarter and better looking than oil painters.

Aside from that, the most immediately obvious difference is that egg tempera dries in seconds as compared to days for oil. ET painters will utilize different methods--crosshatching, drybrush, scumbling, successive glazes, etc--to blend one area of color into another in order to compensate for the quick drying time. In oils, the same color blend would likely be accomplished by a stroke here, a stroke there, and a couple swipes with a fan brush in between. Egg tempera tends not to be the medium for people who want to finish a painting in an afternoon.

The quality of staying workable on the painting surface for extended periods accounts for oil paint being the more popular medium over the last 500 years or so. On the other hand, egg tempera has a luminescent quality that no other medium has. You'll need to see it in person--photos can't do it justice. Egg tempera paintings are also more durable over time. Pre-Renaissance Botticelli egg tempera paintings are just as vibrant and colorful today as the day they were painted while oils from later periods have darkened and cracked into obscurity.

You'll find plenty of paint mixing and material handling information elsewhere on this website. You'll note that egg tempera painting doesn't use any headache-inducing solvents, though some of the pigments themselves require caution in handling (this is true for both mediums, however). I can paint in peace at my living room drawing table using egg tempera, whereas I would be driven to the basement by angry family members if I were using oils.

One last thing to note is that ET painters tend to correct other people's spelling: "Tempura" is japanese fried food and, while delicious, is not at all suitable as a painting medium.

I hope this is a good start for you...I'm sure the others in this forum can give you more comprehensible information than I can.

Thank you for joining us!

Brian

http://www.brianhendrickson.net
Old 09-09-06, 06:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

its beenover a year

Did you get to frame and sell your work :!:

great detail, great work

nice site!

http://www.brianhendrickson.net/