Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 31-08-05, 08:43 AM

Default ET changed my life

Although I had been lurking for some time, last January I placed my first posts to this forum. Because all my paintings are on homemade panels Iíd formed some definite opinions concerning supports and grounds. However, I held back until I had completed my first, and to date only egg tempera painting. I had come to ET as a way of making more archival under-paintings for oils that would dry fast without paint build up. My oil under-paintings are messy and require months of drying before I can achieve the effects I desire. Before I tested my ET/oil theory, I thought I should try a fully realized ET painting. I chose an image in which the texture of the hair would be difficult to render in oil. When finished I was so astounded by the process, the image texture and paint surface, I knew I had to rethink my approach to painting. I put painting on hiatus and studied HTML and web design. Right now Iím working on some unfinished oils, but I know that my future paintings will be completely or heavily based on ET. I have learned so much from this forum and the works Iíve seen here that I wish to thank you all. Iím posting this to show my painting and announce the publication of my website. http://www.higden.net

Douglas Lloyd Higden
Old 01-09-05, 07:35 PM
alexgarcia

My first reaction is wow! My second reaction is how? I really love portraiture and figurative work. I enjoyed this work thoroughly and your works on your website as well. I would like to see more in color like the one you have on your site.

I particularly think that the feelings in your work are beautiful. I can almost sense what they are feeling or thinking.

I fell in love with egg tempera also and have vowed to learn it for the rest of my life.

Thanks so much for sharing your work with us.
Old 04-09-05, 05:44 AM

Alex,

Thank you for your kind words, and thank you for the link at eggtempera.org. Itís my first. Iíve greatly enjoyed the collection of painters youíve found, and I enjoy your ET work. It reminds me of Diego Rivera. As for the feeling in my paintings, itís the subjects and the photos fault.

Gregg,

Thanks for the email. Iím still working on my color method, but in the meantime I keep finding black and white photographs that demand to be painted. The oils donít really show brushwork at any magnification, but here are some details of the ET.

Doug

Old 04-09-05, 07:27 PM
gbrauck

Very nice work Doug.

You have a lot of talent. You defenitely have an eye for value relationships. I was once critiqued by a well respected artist ( who has work hanging in Independence Hall in Philadelphia), and his only advice was, "Where is the Gregg in your art?" I was so interested in absolutely capturing every detail, that my work was too photo-realistic. My goal now is to make sure that the viewer knows that what he or she is looking at is NOT a photo, but a painting. I am a great fan of the artist William Bougereau. Although his art is very realistic, there is no doubt that it originates from a brush. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. I also look forward to some color examples.
All the best,

Gregg
Old 09-09-06, 07:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

Excellent art work Doug, and a great informative web site, but with such talent are you planning to explore a non photographic area like still life and landscape

have you exhibited yet, didn't see a bio+