Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 10-05-05, 01:28 AM
alexgarcia

Default Knowing - 11x14 on panel

This is my most recent painting. I would like any input anyone might have.

Old 10-05-05, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Very nice, Alex!
The shadow across her face is effective and her expression looks natural and unposed. I'm a hard-core realist, though, and the stylized tree in the background throws me off a bit, but that certainly isn't a criticism - just my subjective reaction. It does have an attractive mystery to it. I want to crop a tiny bit off the left-hand side of the painting for some reason... but overall, it has a nice balance and feel. Good work.
Phil
Old 11-05-05, 12:33 PM
K. Lee

I'm going to agree with PhilS and also assume in an ironic as well as intuitive sense from the title with PhilS when reading the picture to be part of a style I think you follow towards abstraction or maybe "Magic Realism" in the vane/bane (vanity/banallity) of the great known work of those like the Cadmus.

I'm not sure why PhilS would like less of the picture surface towards the left other then maybe superflous surface or texture.

I think, like me (although you may be pushing it for identity to your work) there could be greater color balance. I'm not yet so proficient in tonal control. The neck in the shadows I think looks a little patchy, or primary in this work, and if you wanted it, the fabric of the composed camise(sp?) could have more lift, or body (it looks weaker to me then it could). Maybe more outline.

For my own input, I'd decide what the work means. Is it a technical excersise, or something more. Perhaps this is why PhilS mentions the area on the left, or not. I suppose identity and style are both things any artist have to face. Is this something you are dealing with?

Personally I like the work, but is there something more? There should be at least more then one way to look at something in my simple artistic viewpoint, and I think you are doing that, at least some.

I would ask why the decision to call this piece "Knowing", if I were the artist. Is the illumination on the right of the figure's head from an outside light source, glass, camera flash, or a hand? That is well done surface if your "style" in my opinion, and is the kind of "effect" I think is well done, if "real".

Yours,

K. Lee

pS Because of a error with the login, and posting, I'd also comment on your "tableau" which I didn't. Well harmonized, and concieved. A little earthy for me in my French. :)
Old 27-08-05, 09:42 PM
gbrauck

Hi Alex,

A critique is designed to give constructive criticism to help the artist correct a problem that he or she may not see himself. At the risk of sounding too (critical) let me start with the positives. I think Knowing is your better painting. You draw very well and your composition is right on. The painting is well balanced (light & dark). A good composition will always have a large area of similar tone where the eye can (rest). Fields of similar tone or color can also draw attention to the focal point (which is the figure). (Maybe the tree draws the viewer's eye out the window, rather than focusing on the thoughtful expression of the center of interest). The main thing that strikes me though, is the color balance of the flesh. You need to introduce Green into your shadows! I know..... green in fleshtones? Even though the subject has a skin tone which is (warmer) or more ruddy in nature, try to really look beyond the surface and see that flesh has many different hues. Especially shadows & highlites. An effective painting of fleshtones will always have more variety of color.
Alex, the thing that really gets me though, (in a very positive way) is the expression of the face. She is very well drawn. Great job. I hope I was of some help.

Gregg
Old 28-08-05, 12:08 AM
alexgarcia

Than you very much for your suggestions, they are helpful. I definately need to work on my color issues and also on my stylization issues.
Old 28-08-05, 02:31 AM
gbrauck

Hi Alex,
You should take a look at some of Daniel Greene's tapes. He is more specific about color etc. They are pretty informative.
All the best,
Gregg
Old 09-09-06, 07:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

Alex ... picture missing on your post

:oops: