Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 14-11-06, 02:12 AM

Default absorbent ground

I don't know if I've asked this before but does anyone have any experience with Golden Absorbent Ground. I've had some good experience with this and egg tempera but not so much so with watercolour.
Old 19-11-06, 01:47 AM

I just tried using it recently, on a piece of birch veneer plywood. I had trouble getting a smooth surface. I put on several coats and sanded it down. It also developed small fissures on the sides of the panel...I'd presumed it would be more flexible.

It's pretty odd stuff actually. After sanding, it ended up feeling pretty much like regular acrylic gesso. The painting surface wasn't nearly as receptive or enjoyable as true gesso. I'm somewhat concerned about future delamination...the absorbent ground didn't seem as "absorbent" as it would pre-sanding.

Funny thing, it seems to be recommended for watercolor effects... I still haven't tried that.
Old 19-11-06, 02:34 AM

I've found that watercolours bleed in it a bit. I got a fairly smoosth surface thinning it down a bit and putting on several coats. I'm really never after a perfectly smooth surface however.
Old 19-11-06, 03:42 PM

Apparantly, it's intended use is to add more absorbancy to a surface that's already been coated with acrylic primer, and not really for use with oils unless kept in thin layers (the reason I lost interest.) Their sandable gesso might be a better choice for tempera (not used it myself.)
http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/absorb.php
http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/sandable.php

Another acrylic primer I've not used (:P) is from Art Boards. They specifically state it's compatible with egg tempera. Sounds like it just has a lower amount of polymer than other primers.
http://www.art-boards.com/Acrylic%20Panel%20Gesso.htm
Old 19-11-06, 03:56 PM

Thanks, I'll look into the Art-Boards gesso. Sounds convenient.
Old 29-11-06, 11:46 PM
artsyiconophile

I have not yet dabbled in egg tempera, and thus, I have a question regarding traditional gesso - how absorbent is it?

I have seen sample boards with the Golden absorbent ground and it really does provide a decent level of luminosity, even with acrylic paint.

Has anyone tried the sandable gesso mentioned above? If so, is it absorbent? The product fact sheet did not indicate if it is absorbent.

I don't mind experimenting a bit, but I'd rather not spend money on something that doesn't provide desired results. I am looking for something that does provide some of the results of traditional gesso for those times when I want the ease of a pre-mixed gesso.

Thanks for your response.

John