Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 24-02-07, 06:13 AM

To whom are you addressing this question?
Old 25-02-07, 11:29 AM

Bert, you convinced ME, I will try it on canvas (streched over chassis) :-)

but I will go on without glycerin fot my panels, as they do not crack anymore since I reduced my glue proportion from 1/10 to 1/16 (thanks to advices I got on this forum :grin: )
Old 25-02-07, 03:40 PM

Sorry, I meant Bert.

And does your hide glue crack? I don't mean to be a dunderhead, I just don't quite grasp the problem.
Old 25-02-07, 05:38 PM

I had so many panels crack...oh boy! I was making the gesso too rich with glue. That seems to be a common problem. One of my teachers said they cracked because they dried too fast. That too is a common problem. I finally got a couple of panels to not crack...until I had a painting on them.

Side note: I had one teacher that was good with ET, but would not share anything with me. I guess he felt he had a monopoly on it. He told me he had spent his life learning it and he wasn't going to give it away. As you can see, my thoughts are quite different. I have a fear that I wll die kowing something that I didn't pass on. My other fear is that I will not have learned all that I want before I die.

The teacher that would share, had only done ET as a class assignment back in art school. The other teacher, when he came around, (but didn't want me to share or bring my work to class) said I should use rabbit skin glue and prepare it in a double boiler. I was so thrilled that he was teaching me, that I did exactly as he said. I don't remember how I got to Mr. Bjorn, but he told me rabbit skin glue was too whimpy (somebody in one of the newsletters said the same, but I disagree with everything else she said). Mr. Bjorn, said the reason for cracking was the 5% Formalin I was using, because itt tans instantly and is probably shrinking the gesso. He suggested I tan it slowly with alum. He also told me me to throw out the double boiler because you can't control the heat. "Does it get thick and sticky around the edge? That's because it is getting too hot. Never go over 140 degrees. never use a glue pot, never store it in the fridg." I knew he had forty years or more experience making glue, but I still experimented with what he told me. By the way, he said th pots for making glue ar the largest in the world.

Let it be understood that I don't want to argue with anybody about anything. I am just putting out there what I know. I could care less whether y'all do it or not. I don't mind one bit if you follow the instructions of Miranda Gray. It's really not all that difficult to do the simple experiments that I have laid out. I know what did not work and what does...for me.

I once photographed violins for a violin maker. He made them in his basement. My pictures appeared in a high end musical magazine. I came to pick up some instruments, and I saw cans sitting in a pan of water. I pointed to them and said, "Hide glue."

He exclaimed, "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT!? Everybody thinks they have a secret.

I have a couple of panels that did not crack that I made in the old days. You may see one someday with my name, but even if they didn't crack, it's chancy. I guarantree my work for 500 years. You say I may not live that long. Well...that's chancy too.
Old 25-02-07, 08:24 PM

O.K., Rob put my picture on. Thanks Rob. You see folks, I keep nothing from you. The picture was a class assignment (self portrait) when I was a second year painting student. It's oil on ET grisaille on true gesso, one of my early ones that did not crack...yet.
Old 05-03-07, 05:13 PM

Hey! How do I record my vote in the poll?

I vote for "No way am I going to contaminate my beautiful panals with that junk!"

I really don't understand the amount of exchange that is spent on additives to good ol' egg yolk. And I've never had my gesso (which is "real" from a dry pre-mix by Gamblin) crack. Perhaps it is due to the climate?! Mine is so dry that I have a difficult time keeping my paint wet long enough to work a few hours.
Old 05-03-07, 08:01 PM

Default Additives

I am pleased that you got your made yoursefl heard. I think I asked for five days and they are probably up. Remember these additives are not mixed with egg yolk. I am absolute;y opposed to adding to egg. These additives are added to the gesso. I don't care if anybody follows my ways or not. I only put it out there to share.
Old 06-03-07, 10:02 AM

I read in "la technique de la peinture l'huile" by Langlais (considered e reference here) that adding glycerin to gesso could have bad results, especially on canvas: the canvas would not strech back properly and... it would be prone to cracking!! espicially when mixed with oil too...

so finally I did not take the risk, and just added some poppy oil to gesso my canvas so it is more flexible

just wanted to share the information too...