Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 19-03-07, 08:18 PM

Default Glue and Whiting Recommendations

Hi Folks!

I'm finally digging out the time to do this right. I notice a huge price discrepancy between various types of rabbit skin glue and whiting. Are French bunnies really that much more superior than standard, run on the mill bunnies when it comes to glue? (I'm talking about Gamblin rabbit skin glue and the much more expensive Holbein French Rabbit skin glue.)

Same thing with "powdered Marble" vs Italian chalk?

Thanks, for the help!

-M
Old 19-03-07, 10:26 PM

It is my understanding that unless the product is touted as genuine pure rabbet skin glue, what most dealers sell as RSG is really hide glue from cows. I’ve used both and have found no practical difference except the true RSG has a slightly stronger (but not unpleasant) odor. What I like to see is that the glue is fairly finely ground. I use mostly Utrecht brand. It is fine enough that it dissolves in warm tap water in a couple minutes with only gentle stirring.

The three most common stone fillers are gypsum, chalk and marble dust. I have read about, but have not tried using gypsum plaster. This would most likely be the least expensive filler but it must be neutralized by being left to soak it a large quantity of water for weeks with occasional stirring. Chalk seems to be the most expensive filler. Dimitris has pointed out that traditional Greek and Eastern Orthodox painters use it exclusively. The benighted Romans ;) (and most other painters) use marble dust. For years I was getting Fredrix brand marble dust for about $2/kilo from Utrecht or Jerry’s. The last time I went to Utrecht it had been replaced with Sinopia brand at four times the price. The next time I buy it will probably be from Kremer. They sell it in 50 kilo lots that will save me some money, but still nowhere near as cheap as the old Fredrix.
Old 20-03-07, 01:25 PM

:grin: Perfect! Precisely the information I was looking (and hoping) for. It's good to know that I do't have to buy the most expensive brand. now i know what to ook for and ask for.

-M
Old 20-03-07, 01:48 PM

Have you considered whiting from a ceramic supply house?
http://www.aardvarkclay.com/catalog_...chemicals.html
Old 20-03-07, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the link Eric. Wow, if their whiting is white and fine enough, at 24 cents/pound in 10 pound lots this is an incredible deal. Thanks also. I have been looking for a source for bentonite clay to use for sand casting aluminum.
Old 21-03-07, 12:21 AM

Try also http://www.lagunaclay.com/ I believe they have an Ohio outlet. I'm sure there ceramic supply houses in Michigan. Laguna also offers it in several forms and even finer grades ... and yes it is quite white.
-eric
Old 21-03-07, 02:09 AM

Forgive me for being such a neophyte, but are you refering to the Talc Pioneer 2882 when you site the .24/pound for 10 lbs?
Old 22-03-07, 03:19 AM

I was referring to the Whiting in 10 pound lots

PRICE PER POUND 1# 5# 10# 50# 100# 500#
WHITING, 325M 1.30 .350 .240 .146 .105 .100
Old 22-03-07, 01:04 PM

Talc comes in different types, and the sort preferred for ceramics is too coarse for paint making. Steatite or soapstone is what is often found in pottery glazes, but a finer grade of fibrous talc is used as a paint filler.