Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > Archived Common Topics > On Paint and Pigments

Old 24-09-04, 01:07 PM
Bhramari

Default Purchasing Pigments

I've recently become interested in working in egg tempera, and am in the process of purchasing supplies.

Has anyone ever purchased pigments from Kama Pigments in Canada?

Any suggestions for where to buy pigments?

Thanks!

Bhramari
Old 25-09-04, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Purchasing Pigments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhramari
I've recently become interested in working in egg tempera, and am in the process of purchasing supplies.

Has anyone ever purchased pigments from Kama Pigments in Canada?

Any suggestions for where to buy pigments?
I haven't purchased from Kama, but they have a nice catalog and a good reputation. Other good places include Kremer pigments and Sinopia. Depending on where you live, some art stores carry powdered pigments.
Old 25-09-04, 08:40 PM
Bhramari

Thank you, David. I've placed an order with Kama, and have a catalog for
Sinopia. Both had nice catalogs, and Sinopia had some pigments that Kama didn't have, so I'll order from them as well.

It may be a bit of a hassle, but I've decided to construct a glove box to grind the pigments in, and I'm beginning to think that I would probably be interested in dispersions. I've had some recent health problems, and can't be exposed to anything even slightly toxic... So much for those carefree, devil may care days.

Thanks again.

Bhramari
Old 26-09-04, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhramari
It may be a bit of a hassle, but I've decided to construct a glove box to grind the pigments in, and I'm beginning to think that I would probably be interested in dispersions. I've had some recent health problems, and can't be exposed to anything even slightly toxic... So much for those carefree, devil may care days.
Dispersions can be very convenient. Many tempera artists don't bother grinding their pigments. Often, it is quite viable to just mix the pigment with water very thoroughly (e.g., put some in a jar with water, put the cap on, and shake). A few pigments are problematic when used this way, but most are just fine.
Old 26-09-04, 02:28 PM
Bhramari

Excellent information, David. I'll be sure and check out each pigment to see if grinding is actually necessary for that particular pigment. You just saved me a heap of time, and I thank you!
Old 28-09-04, 12:13 AM

Bhramari: Can I assume that Kama is in Canada, or did you mean that you were asking if Kama shipped to Canada?? I live in Canada but have not heard of that company. I have been buying pigments, and other art supplies, from D.L. Stevenson in Ontario. It is a great company....good service and prices. There speciality is selling directly to artists and arts groups. Could you please give me some info. on Kama?? Thanks. David
Old 28-09-04, 03:06 PM
Administrator

I just ordered some stuff from Kama, and I should get it in a few days. They are in Montreal. Their website http://kamapigments.com/index_en.html is setup well for online ordering.