Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 02-10-07, 08:33 AM

Default making glazes

Do you make a glaze by adding more water or adding more medium to the paint once it is made? I have used more water, but am curious how use more medium to make a glaze without the paint becoming too greasy.

I appreciate any insight on your experiences.
Old 02-10-07, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Hi abcooke,
If your pigment to egg yolk mixture is right, you can add as much water as you want. Adding more egg yolk will make the surface greasy (and may compromise the integrity of the surface).
A general rule is to only glaze one value darker than the underpainting. It can get "jumpy" if your glaze is much darker. Having said that, I do it all the time...
Cheers,
Phil
Old 02-10-07, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Mmmmm.....have to disagree with one comment Phil.
Qoute.....only glaze one value darker than the underpainting.
I can have a mid tone underpainting and add loads of glazes bringing it to quite a dark tone.
Rob
Old 02-10-07, 11:37 PM
artsyiconophile

I read somewhere that the addition of more medium is the appropriate method and that additional water can compromise the strength of the paint film. It was critical of a particular author.

Which is the appropriate method? I have used the former rather than the latter. In fact, it was this that was taught to us in an icon painting class. The instructor has been painting icons in egg for 40 years, so her instructions struck me as based in a lot of experience.

John

Last edited by artsyiconophile; 02-10-07 at 11:45 PM. Reason: additional comment added