Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 03-02-08, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Thanks jpohl.

Once I take a photo (I use a Pentax Digital SLR) I bring the image into photoshop to correct levels, color balance and sharpness. I try to get it as close as possible to the original without overdoing it.
Old 04-02-08, 11:42 PM

Thank you all from all parts of the world giving me advice on how to take photographs of my paintings. Shooting outdoors seems the easy way. Setting up tungsten light(?) my gosh, don't know were to put all that stuff in my house. Have three kids, still living at home, two dogs and always people coming in and out...painting in my kitchen, real household of Jan Steen (Dutch painter) and as for photoshop, have to learn to use that, and I am so terribly stupid with computer things. Really envy Rob...all the things you can do with it!
And as for Florence...Jp I can recommend it. I go each year in February,I am going next thursday with a whole bunch of friends who want to hear me talk about the painters. And I can go on and on...
I am self taught, found out I could paint late in life. Didn't know it would take so much more than learning about painting. How to photograph, learning to put pics up here on this forum, how to work with photoshop, having my own website, how to adress a gallery? Well that is a different topic...and terribly difficult here in Holland. They are unapprochable, all filled with the same artists as in all the other galleries.
Well, thanks again I and I will keep on practising.
Best wishes,
Alexandra.
Old 05-02-08, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra van Cruyningen View Post
Thank you all from all parts of the world giving me advice on how to take photographs of my paintings. Shooting outdoors seems the easy way. Setting up tungsten light(?) my gosh, don't know were to put all that stuff in my house. Have three kids, still living at home, two dogs and always people coming in and out...painting in my kitchen, real household of Jan Steen (Dutch painter) and as for photoshop, have to learn to use that, and I am so terribly stupid with computer things. Really envy Rob...all the things you can do with it!
And as for Florence...Jp I can recommend it. I go each year in February,I am going next thursday with a whole bunch of friends who want to hear me talk about the painters. And I can go on and on...
I am self taught, found out I could paint late in life. Didn't know it would take so much more than learning about painting. How to photograph, learning to put pics up here on this forum, how to work with photoshop, having my own website, how to adress a gallery? Well that is a different topic...and terribly difficult here in Holland. They are unapprochable, all filled with the same artists as in all the other galleries.
Well, thanks again I and I will keep on practising.
Best wishes,
Alexandra.
oh my goodness, and I thought two infants and one dog were bad enough. I knew my limit and found homes for the cats.

and you have tulips and sunshine! Amsterdam is also on my big list of places I have to visit... between Van Gogh, and Vermere and Rembrant. How could I not?

Still feeling guilty about weaning my little one long enough to get away to museums in England for a couple of weeks if it fits in the budget (grandma is eager to babysit so I should take advantage) ... I'm telling myself it will pay for itself in the inspiration I can glean. Florence every year would be such a dream... One day we would like to retire in brittany so who knows... but the meantime I have about 25 years of painting before that touch wood. If nothing else it is very quiet in the winter, and natural light to work under the midnight sun in the summer. (-:

Some people do very well with commissions and selling out of their own studies, but don't give up with the galleries if it is something you want. You have true talent. There are benefits to coming from a smaller centre. There can be a lot of local support and a wonderful lack of critics. A double edged sword with regards to last part I guess...

Maybe you should cast you net a little further. I am sure a lot of good dealers would be happy to represent you around the world. A friend of mine thought local galleries were unapproachable as well.. but I thought she had wonderful raw talent and after I put in a word or two to the right person, she is having a solo show after selling very well all year. Other people rent vacant spaces and show on their own terms, and perhaps even invite dancers, actors, musicians and performer artists into the space to widen their audience... Where there is a will there is a way. As long as you do good work, which you do... the rest will follow.

I better get some rest... so I can get some painting hours in before ever one wakes and still be able to take care of everyone tomorrow... but it has been lovely to follow links and see what everyone is doing. So many really strong painters on this forum.. much more I think than might be found on a generic art site. Maybe because a person has to be pretty patient to consider egg tempera.

cheers, jp