Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 24-03-08, 03:42 PM

Default Creams Vs Gloves

I use a barrier cream as wearing gloves drives me batty.I have junk clothes used only for painting that I don't wash with the rest of my stuff.I also try to wear a little paper mask and run an air filter in my workshop.

All that said- I left an Icon of St. Anthony the Desert Father to dry on a table and my dog climbed up on the table and licked off his face and beard.....after an emergency trip the vet w/ me freaking out the whole way .......he fine... probably not a good diet for every day but beyond a healthy wolf hound stomach....who knows?
Old 29-03-08, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
I thought I'd better go through my literature to clear up what I've said. Apart from the obvious nasties that contain compounds of lead arsenic, mercury and antimony that are probably not used now much, the skin contact hazards (slight though still there) are:

Lamp black
Ceruleun Blue
Cobalt Blue
Chrome oxide green
Alizarin Crimson

Sorry if I started an umber panic. None of these will kill you or probably make you noticably sick, but they may compromise your health in unforeseen ways. As always take great care with pigments. There are many that have not been studied for toxicity that are in use too.

jeffB
good to know... thank you for bringing this thread to the front of the line. I'm taking notes... i'd be worried about barrier creams getting in the brush hair or I'd consider it an option. I'm one of those with a reaction to latex, but have to careful that I don't get pigment in my skin/under my nails and get it on my little ones. will have to read this whole thread when I have more time...

thank you everyone. jp.
Old 29-03-08, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohl View Post
I'm one of those with a reaction to latex,
I work with Nitrile gloves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_gloves)
made of the non-latex nitrile rubber. They are very resistant against chemicals. They don't smell like latex does and fit like a second skin in a few minutes. I buy them by 100 pieces in a box. They are sold in different sizes. If you prefer to work with gloves, these are the best! No medic or tattoo artist works without 'm.

Last edited by Danny; 29-03-08 at 11:52 AM.
Old 29-03-08, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I work with Nitrile gloves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_gloves)
made of the non-latex nitrile rubber. They are very resistant against chemicals. They don't smell like latex does and fit like a second skin in a few minutes. I buy them by 100 pieces in a box. They are sold in different sizes. If you prefer to work with gloves, these are the best! No medic or tattoo artist works without 'm.
thank you so much... will have to look into it and consider it.. might be better for mulling and mixing.... the bright colour might throw off judgment for painting though. i may just opt for barrier creams and wiping on paper towels for more "toxic" pigments... wondering how much more expensive that will prove though... but paint has to come cheaper than health, especially while I have other people to consider...the days of painting with my body covered in oil paint are over.... part of the reason I'm switching from oil is that I had a hard time keeping it off my skin... a talented friend of mine who also had two babies around the same time has stuck with oil.. but she's not the kind to get a brush mark on her.... and her biggest advice to me was "daycare"... maybe part time soon, but i'm used to going with out sleep at this point any way. what's another few years? But the truth is I've fallen for the possibilities I see in egg tempera health concerns aside...

I remember asking Mary Pratt how she kept painting with five children. She didn't really get underway until they were a little older, and she told me she worked while everyone else was sleeping and needed very little sleep.