Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

View Poll Results: Do you like to store your pigments wet or dry?
Varies - please comment in message 5 20.00%
Usually dry - left in powder, stored in bags or jars 11 44.00%
Usually wet - ground into paste, stored in jars 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-06, 08:58 PM

I use dispersions from Kremer Pigments ( http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/englisch/homee.htm ). They're a German company, but they have a fabulous store in New York City -- it's tiny, but packed to the rafters with wonderful pigments.

They sell what they call "Color Concentrates" ( http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/englis...orconcentrates ), which are pigments pre-ground in water. They have a good range of colors, and I have always found them very helpful in answering questions.
Old 10-02-08, 10:31 AM

This is so useful! Thank you to Jeff posting the link to this thread. I had been collecting baby jars and had almost given up I had so many.. but now I think it might be wise to keep collecting while i have a chance now, especially after reading this. So that's three sources for dispersions that I have to look into now: kama, kremer and sinopia.... kama is close but they didn't have a lot of choices.

I had childhood asthma (even ended up in an oxygen tent from second hand smoke) and although I grew out of it soon enough, am not about to take a chance with my little ones. Will also be investing in another hepa air cleaner...

And some of the baby food is not so bad... you can put some of the organic fruit or berries on ice cream or in yogurt if you want to develop a taste.
Old 05-03-08, 03:08 PM
old fart and trophy hag

dry kept in the same jars so long that the labels have long ago turned brown and flaked off.
Old 06-03-08, 01:08 AM
Kelley Vandiver

Jpohl...and Guerra Paint in New York. Don't forget Guerra!

I have most pigments ground in water and yes, stored in baby food jars. I don't have any problem with them drying out this way. The pigments that mold, I either store dry or have as a pigment dispersion. My yellow ochres and quinacridones are stored dry. I recently discovered pigment dispersions and really like them and have just recently ordered some more. They are very concentrated and bright and convenient.
Old 06-03-08, 11:27 PM

It looks like Guerra has every pigment known to man! And the quality is good you say?

I'm keeping them "wet", well sort of wet. They keep drying up on me or they get mouldy, then I curse a bit and end up tossing some dried pigment into the jar, add some water and shake. All the mask/grinding stuff goes out the window because I'm usually in the middle of it.

Dispersions sound great in an over-complicated life.
Old 31-03-08, 05:44 PM
Choronzon

Default I am all wet... mostly

As I have done little work as of yet I can say little except this, cadmium is bad stuff and is not something I want airborne. I have cads that I will grind in oil but the oil seems to settle the dust problem pretty quick whereas water seems to harbor dry pockets which burst. So far most of my pigments are in the form of Guerra dispersions and they seem to keep forever, trust me I bought them over a year ago and they still are still clean and clear. They do settle after a bit but that is good in my books as I can see exactly how much pigment I have and how much water. So far it looks to be about 80 to 90% pigment per jar which is pretty amazing for the price.
Old 05-04-08, 12:05 PM

Mine are mostly wet too, though some that I consider safe I keep dry. Sarah, when I mix my medium up I don't dilute it with water but with white wine like icon painters do. It lasts longer, smells very nice, is an excuse to buy wine, and it does make the pigments mix easily. I think it makes the medium somewhat nicer to use in application too though I suspect it dries a bit quicker.
Old 06-04-08, 11:58 PM

I do begin to wonder if Kremer isn't adding some dispersal agent to its water-dispersed pigments. My Chromium Oxide Green (toxic) and my Iron Oxide Red (just stubborn to hand-grind) both have an odd, gluey texture and mix to a very thick consistency. They seem to paint okay, though.
Old 07-04-08, 10:51 PM
Italian painter

Default Wet or Dry

Dry for long time, many years.
Wet for short time, few month.