Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 08-08-08, 08:05 PM

Default Anything Up With RealGesso?

A student of mine can't get ahold of RealGesso to confirm an order. They never emailed a confirmation, and their phone seems to have been disconnected. Anybody know what's up?
Old 09-08-08, 02:55 AM
Kelley Vandiver

Don't worry. The same thing has happened to me...several times. Their customer service department is NON existent. Just tell your student to wait patiently for the order. It will arrive. Believe me, I gave them a piece of my mind about the no confirmation email and the lack of customer service. The problem is that their product is a good one and I don't want them mad at me when the orders always arrive eventually.
Old 09-08-08, 06:53 AM

Maybe they are on summer holidays, or had a family emergency. I'm not sure how many people work there. I found them to be very sweet, and they answered every question promptly. I'm sure they'll be back soon. (Zecchi's is closed for a month long holiday. I'm told much of Europe takes off for a longer summer holiday than north americans, and who can blame them?)

cheers, jp.
Old 10-08-08, 01:46 PM
Kelley Vandiver

Realgesso is based in Athens, Georgia. I am thrilled JP that you had great service and found them sweet but I have been ordering from them for over a year (maybe 4 orders) and have to this day, never received an order confirmation or a response to any of my emails. Even my brutal email went unanswered. That is why I say to just be patient. My problem is that I live in Mexico, and was having friends come for a visit. I get lots of company. They were going to bring the panels to me but couldn't if they didn't arrive in time. So, I started writing and begging for information on delivery or tracking...but I didn't ever get a response. Even after explaining my situation in an email...nothing. However, they usually arrived within about three weeks of placing the order online, so I was happy.

Maybe the lesson is to call them on the phone and skip the online ordering? I know that Guerra paint doesn't have an email listed because they hate to answer emails! I know about that because I called and asked!!!
Old 11-08-08, 12:31 PM

That's all something of a relief. I had heard good things about them, but have never actually dealt with them.

It turns out that they had a huge storm in Georgia that knocked out their electricity for days, which is why their computers were out and their phone was disconnected for a while. They're back in touch now.
Old 11-08-08, 02:13 PM
Kelley Vandiver

Alessandra, glad they were in contact. Maybe things are changing with Realgesso? Maybe it was just me? I really appreciate good customer service and will often shop with someone that charges more as long as they have good customer service!
Old 18-08-08, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
Alessandra, glad they were in contact. Maybe things are changing with Realgesso? Maybe it was just me? I really appreciate good customer service and will often shop with someone that charges more as long as they have good customer service!
I'm the same way... I felt so shabbily treated by one supplier I actually ordered out of the country and paid the extra for shipping and customs than deal with them again.

I have a feeling they don't have a lot of people working there and I sense that business must be up a lot (Many oil painters are using their panels lately). Perhaps the difference was I asked questions up front before I even placed the order, but I was very touched when the lady answering my questions said that she was also a mom with young children and was proud of me for starting painting again... I appreciated the human touch. Will keep in mind the need to be patience if I have problems hearing back from them in future. Can only imagine how hot it is in Georgia. The August heat near the arctic circle is enough to make us feel a little stupid and useless on certain days. We've lost electricity a bit, but it comes with welcome and cooling rain storms. You must be used to the heat in Mexico, so I should talk. We talked about moving there to write and paint years ago, and love the thought of the colours, light and hot peppers, but don't think we (or at least my husband) could take the heat. (-: But then again if we can get used to 70 below...

Last edited by jpohl; 18-08-08 at 08:03 PM.
Old 21-08-08, 06:18 PM
Kelley Vandiver

Default Heat...

Jpohl, San Miguel is high...high in the mountains. In fact, we are more than a mile above sea level. The weather here is pretty close to perfect. It is about 70 degrees today and will drop down to about 50 tonight. We are in the rainy season at the moment but the temperatures are pretty much the same year around. Winter lasts for two months (December and January) and the temperatures can drop down close to freezing at night but then they shoot back up to about 65 during the day. I don't own an air conditioner or a heater. This is a great city for artists and writers, in fact, it's full of them. Prices here are still affordable but getting higher all the time.

You are right about learning patience. I forget that some companies are small and don't have the ability to hire lots of employees. Like I said above, I love their products.
Old 12-09-08, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
A student of mine can't get ahold of RealGesso to confirm an order. They never emailed a confirmation, and their phone seems to have been disconnected. Anybody know what's up?
Hi Alessandra,
Thanks for the feedback. The Realgesso catalog automatically sends an email confirmation to the address put in the email field of the order form. However, we don't issue a tracking number until the order is processed and weighed. Our electricity was out temporarily due to some storms.
Realgesso is a small company that was working on a part-time basis. We are now working full time to meet the needs of our customers. We are really trying to work the bugs out of everything. We want to serve our customers with a quality product and prompt service. We are trying to improve on any areas that need improvement. We review all feedback good and bad (the good makes us feel better) to really see what we need to work on.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience to anyone affected.
Please feel free to send us an email with any feedback.
Thank you,
Realgesso
Old 22-09-08, 07:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

I still believe that students must make their own gesso boards. Period.