Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 29-06-08, 12:04 PM

Default New Gesso over old

I have exposed areas of gesso on an almost completed painting. I need to retouch some areas. Does anyone know if there is a problem applying new gesso over old? Thanks
Old 29-06-08, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.
You have not really explained what the problem is.
You say you need to retouch some areas, is that retouching with paint or gesso although your title does say new gesso over old and I'm not sure why you would want to add some more gesso......a little more information is needed so we can best advise........
Old 29-06-08, 03:52 PM

Thankyou Rob. Here goes. I have made a triptych which is three seperate images on one panel. I have removed the masking tape from around the images and need to 'cut back in' where the edge is untidy or there has been some leaking. I would prefer to use a fresh coat ofgesso rather than paint. I use your recipe and it recommends completing gessoing in one day. My concern is in putting fresh gesso over six week old gesso ( cracking?) I hope this makes sense.
Old 29-06-08, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Gottcha..........
I don't think you will have any problem cleaning up with fresh gesso, it is not as if it is a structural part of the painting. I have to admit that I have recycled old panels and sanded off the paint down the gesso and then added a few more coats of gesso......so far I have had no problem.
One little problem with adding the new gesso would be the inability to sand it without damaging the painted area, that is if you want a good smooth surface.
Before you do add any gesso or paint just check that there is none of the adhesive from the tape. I've used Wilko's cheap tape in the past and found that patches of the adhesive were still on the panel and repelled the paint!!
Hope this helps.......maybe some others may comment......
Old 29-06-08, 04:37 PM

Thats all good advice, thanks for your time, Rob.
Old 22-09-08, 10:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

cracking can occur after several years, you can add a quick brush of alcohol to the area then apply gesso, this needs playing around with, when the alcohol is sucked up to evaporate it will replace its mass by the gesso giving a better and closer micro bond.

You can also use a vacum chamber* to take out the air ratio, this will also help gesso get into smaller micro areas and lessen the cracking possibilities.

But this is extreme and needs allot of practice before actually doing it to the original problem

* now you ask were does one find a vacum chamber, just ask a museum or art supply shop

Tags
gesso, retouch