Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 16-04-08, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi View Post
Rob, thank you so much for mentioning Rosemary & Co. I have looked at her site and her brushes, and I intend to buy some. My daughter, who is studying music in London, will be able to bring them to me when she returns to Canada (British Columbia) for the summer, thus saving me postage/shipping/duty, although I will have to pay the VAT. My question is, have you ever used the series 60 dagger brush for egg tempera, or the series 332 extended points brushes? Which of her sable brushes have you found most useful for tempera? Rosemary has quite a wide selection of brushes.

Thanks, Magi
Magi, I'm in Canada (Yellowknife... which may be the once expensive places to ship in Canada... $400 just to place an order from ikea if you can believe it!) Rosemary shipped me 8 brushes with a catalog for 2 dollars.. i could have shipped more for the same price, and i'm not sure if it was a mistake at the border, but no customs... i'm not complaining!) still admiring them while i wait for pigments and dispersions to ship (i'm not going to risk ruining them with ink after their long trip, even if it wasn't an expensive one.

It can actually be cheaper to ship out of the country as vendors like curry's charge a flat rate regardless of weight.. they charged me 17 dollars to ship three brushes and mucked around with our card a bit costing us more in extra fees... i did get a refund after pressing the free shipping special they advertised at the time. Canada post would have shipped it for four dollars...

Rosemary's brushes are so affordable I don't doubt I'll be ordering more, but I am also comparing all the brushes recommended on this thread.. just to be sure. I ordered short and long handled to see which balanced in my hand better... and I think the shorter do... the longer might be useful with a mahlstick (although I haven't used one to be be fair). I'm hoping to do a review of all the kolinksy's on my blog once I've had enough experience with them..

Rosemary's prices which cut out the middleman make it affordable to invest in larger quality brushes and trying out more specialty brushes.. which I'm looking forward to. (To be honest I thought I ordered four, two of each length and 8 showed up (perhaps I wasn't clear)... so I was especially delighted at the price.) Paypal makes things very convenient.. but the email isn't answered every day (it was more like once a week to begin with) so be patient. I think she keeps busy making brushes.. but they are very likely worth the wait. Would love to hear how you find them..

jerrysartarama and dick blick are almost as affordable (especially on sale days)... but my order from jerry's has been pending such a long time I'll have to give them a call...

all the best.. baby calling.. jp.

Last edited by jpohl; 16-04-08 at 10:39 PM.
Old 17-04-08, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohl View Post
Magi, I'm in Canada (Yellowknife... which may be the once expensive places to ship in Canada... $400 just to place an order from ikea if you can believe it!) Rosemary shipped me 8 brushes with a catalog for 2 dollars.. i could have shipped more for the same price, and i'm not sure if it was a mistake at the border, but no customs... i'm not complaining!) still admiring them while i wait for pigments and dispersions to ship (i'm not going to risk ruining them with ink after their long trip, even if it wasn't an expensive one.

It can actually be cheaper to ship out of the country as vendors like curry's charge a flat rate regardless of weight.. they charged me 17 dollars to ship three brushes and mucked around with our card a bit costing us more in extra fees... i did get a refund after pressing the free shipping special they advertised at the time. Canada post would have shipped it for four dollars...

Rosemary's brushes are so affordable I don't doubt I'll be ordering more, but I am also comparing all the brushes recommended on this thread.. just to be sure. I ordered short and long handled to see which balanced in my hand better... and I think the shorter do... the longer might be useful with a mahlstick (although I haven't used one to be be fair). I'm hoping to do a review of all the kolinksy's on my blog once I've had enough experience with them..

Rosemary's prices which cut out the middleman make it affordable to invest in larger quality brushes and trying out more specialty brushes.. which I'm looking forward to. (To be honest I thought I ordered four, two of each length and 8 showed up (perhaps I wasn't clear)... so I was especially delighted at the price.) Paypal makes things very convenient.. but the email isn't answered every day (it was more like once a week to begin with) so be patient. I think she keeps busy making brushes.. but they are very likely worth the wait. Would love to hear how you find them..

jerrysartarama and dick blick are almost as affordable (especially on sale days)... but my order from jerry's has been pending such a long time I'll have to give them a call...

all the best.. baby calling.. jp.
jp,

Thanks for the information. Wow, only $2 delivery! That is amazing. Yes, I am wondering about the customs charge, whether or not it would occur. The silverpoint styluses that were sent to me from "Silverpointweb.com" arrived duty free. I was surprised because with other art supplies sent to me from the US, I have had to pay a customs fee.

From Rosemary I hope to purchase some bigger, better quality brushes for water colour too, as well as smaller ones for tempera. Rosemary's brushes look terrific on her site; however, it is a somewhat difficult making a selection, not being able to see the actual brushes.

I don't often post here, but regularly read and view, with serious attention, all the comments and paintings. Everyone is tremendously supportive. This is one of my favourite forums. Jp, I have been meaning to tell you how much I have/do enjoy reading your posts too. I know what it is like to have the call of a baby intermingling with the call of unfinished and/or envisioned art work. Those years of bringing up children are over for me now, and they were rewarding - everything enriches. It sounds as though you will be painting soon. Hopefully your order from Jerry's will arrive soon.

Magi
Old 17-04-08, 08:54 PM

Thank you (it good to hear that my 110 question have done more than pester so many busy people!) :)

We have a lot in common. I still have to order my stylus (-: .... but waiting to get my dispersions first.. I've been trying to see who else offers the paypal options (which save a lot of inconvenience, time and fees, compared to the prepaid card we use for security reasons online... but no luck so far...)

p.s. part of the reason for the extra cost with Curry's was the huge box the brushes were in... Rosemary's came safely tucked in her catalog.
Old 20-04-08, 05:15 AM

Default Brushes from Cornelissen & Son

I generally use Winsor & Newton Series 7 and Series 7 miniature sable watercolor rounds.

I'm intrigued by Rosemary & Co. brushes and will look into these.

I've found a brush I'm quite happy with -- sold by Cornelissen & Son in London. The brushes carry the Cornelissen name. I bought several of the miniature variety, comparable to Winsor & Newton. But they have a very nice feature that W&N don't have -- the brush handle is slightly faceted, which makes holding it precisely a little easier. I've been using these brushes for about a year, and they seem to be wearing quite well.

Karen
Old 06-10-08, 06:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimitris C. Milionis

http://www.escoda.com/forum/Subject....ageid=2&show=1

"Escoda watercolor 1212 series is made of Kolinsky Tajmyr hair (only male hair) which is exactly the same hair for oil brushes 2420, 2820 and 2920 called Grafilo series.

The brush head is the same one and only changes the handle. Their performance is exactly the same.

However, oil kolinsky series 2410, 2813 and 2913 are made of a mixture of male and female hair.

The main difference between our regular Kolinsky and Kolinsky Tajmyr hair is that this second one (only male hair) has more snap due to the sronger male hair. The capacity to retain liquids is the same."
Old 06-10-08, 06:51 PM

I've made it a mission to compare as many good kolinsky's as I can. There are worse addictions. (-: I got a few martora along with my order from zecchi's just to try them, as I'd never heard of the brand before. I'm considering doing a review of the kolinsky's on my blog when I feel ready to start posting again. It turns out the short handled from Rosemary feel better weighted than the long handled in my hand.

For now I'm going to using synthetics for casein underpaintings, and have order a variety from Rosemary to see what works best for along, along with a few others like da vinci and isabey. I've heard good things about trekell handmade brushes, and would like to try a few along with a few others from Rosemary.