Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Here you may intoduce yourself

Old 01-01-09, 08:04 PM
shoutout33

Default Hello.

Hi. New not only to these forums, but egg tempera as well. I plan to get back into oil painting, but have been dealing with the whole non-toxic thing. I think I have an idea of what I want to do in oils, but I found out that egg tempera is completely non-toxic media to work with...it is isn't it? I was wondering though, if there's a huge learning curve with this type of media. Also, do you HAVE to make all of your paints from scratch? I'd rather just get them in tubes if they are made that way. Thanks in advance and glad to be on the forums.
Old 02-01-09, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Shout,
Egg tempera is as non-toxic as the pigments you use. If you use toxic pigments, it's toxic...
I hate to say it, but if you are asking questions like: do you have to make all of your pigments from scratch? then you probably won't cut it as an ET painter.
There is a BIG learning curve in tempera. We'll be happy to help you any way we can, but my advice to you, based on your questions is: stick with oils.
Phil
Old 02-01-09, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forums.
True egg tempera does have to be made up from scratch each day. Many folk do use the tubed variety but it does contain an oil and handles differently from the true stuff.
Anyway, hope we can help you further if necessary.
Rob
Old 03-01-09, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Sorry Shout, if my first post sounded a little harsh. My dog had just looked me straight in the eye as she squatted and peed on the rug—an hour before guests were due to arrive.

What I should have said is that egg tempera requires you to submit to a certain amount of discipline. If you aren't willing to do so, you will be frustrated with the results you get. It takes time to master the medium. Time and patience.

You do have to mix your paints every day. And you have to work in layers— sometimes many layers. If you do it right, you can achieve results you can't get with any other medium. If you do it wrong, by rushing it or taking shortcuts, you will probably end up with a mess.

Welcome to the forum and let us know how your new venture goes.

Phil
Old 05-01-09, 04:06 AM
shoutout33

Thanks Phil and Rob! Other than the disciplin part, I really don't have the space (and probably not the time...) to play mad scientist and make my paints everyday. I mean, I'd like to one day, but based on what you two are saying, the best way to get it is to do it the traditional way (by that I mean making the paint...). Well, I do appreciate the replies and you are probable are right...I need to stick with oils.
Old 05-01-09, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Why not start by using the tubed stuff? That is how I made the transition from oils and watercolour. The tubes are more forgiving and gradually you can develop a method of painting and if it suites then try the traditional.
Good luck.
Rob
Old 05-01-09, 08:34 PM

As far as toxicity, the same can be said about oil. It’s only as toxic as the pigments you use, witch are essentially the same as those used in tempera. Oil paint can be made from edible oils like walnut. Solvents are unnecessary. Brushes can be cleaned with oil, soap and water. It can be argued that oil painting may be less toxic than tempera because you needn’t work with dry pigments with their airborne particle issues, and since it doesn’t contain cholesterol walnut oil may be less toxic than egg yolk. ;)