Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 11-04-09, 08:03 PM

Hello Alistair,

I am coming at your problem from a different angle. I hope you don't think that this reply is too simplistic but it illustrates a misunderstanding I had when I started using et. If you are tempering your paints correctly but it it still coming off, perhaps you are trying to revive semi dry paint on your pallet by re-wetting it. Unlike water colours you can not do this with et because it has 'set' chemically. If you add water to this dry or semi-dry paint it will have reduced or no binding power and will come off the panel in the way you describe.
I am sticking my neck out a little here, as this is very basic and I don' t wish to insult you, but I have found most et instructions do not make this point clear enough and other et painters may assume that you already know it.
Old 12-04-09, 07:38 PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response. You are not insulting me, any help is great as I am very new to E.T. painting. I have tried to revive semi-dry paint on my palette by re-wetting it. I assumed that unless it had completely set it would be ok to do this, for as you know it dries very fast and I'm never quick enough painting before my colours start to dry. I shall try to remedy this situation. I'm used to oil paint which as you know takes ages to dry, so I'm not yet accustomed to fast drying paints.

Thanks again.
Old 13-04-09, 04:56 PM

Alistair,
I use a china palette with relatively small (in diameter) but deep indents in it. In this I put a good amount of yolk mixed with pigment and quite a lot of water; a dilute mix is recommended for et painting anyway so this works out fine. When I go to lunch or nip off to make a cup of tea I cover the whole pallet with something like an old plastic DVD box. In this way the paint will last all day.
When I use up a particular colour, I make sure I clean out the indent thoroughly with a damp rag before putting more paint in, because the dregs of the paint left in the pallet will dry very quickly and must be disposed of. In this way my paint is always good to use, as long as I avoid the paint drying around the edge of each indent.
If you need a lot of colour you could even mix it all up at the beginning of the session and use it throughout the day if it is suficiantly diluted, and covered up.
Old 20-04-09, 04:35 PM

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the suggestions.