Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Critique Forum

Critique Forum Post your work here for constructive criticism

Old 24-04-09, 07:11 PM

Smile New Paintings

Hi!

I just joined the ET forum. I have been painting in et for about a year now. Below is a link to one of my pictures that I have just put in my album.

http://www.eggtempera.com/forumnew/p...5&pictureid=35
Old 25-04-09, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Great paintings......great saturation of colour.
Old 25-04-09, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Nice Job, RJ!
You're getting a nice ET finish going in places (if my screen isn't lying). Some areas look like you only have one layer going. Tempera is all about layering. That isn't to say your technique is wrong—nothing's wrong if it works. In the future, though, you might want to try experimenting with layering: cool over warm, light over dark. It can be frustrating, or very rewarding!
Keep up the good work and keep posting!
Phil
Old 26-04-09, 02:59 PM

Rob,

Thanks, I really enjoy the egg tempera. Except for the tiny pin holes!
Old 26-04-09, 03:01 PM

Phil,
THanks for the input. Actually there are several layers everywhere on the painting. I will try the cool over warm and warm over cool on my next paintings and see what happens.
Rebecca
Old 26-04-09, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Ah......the dreaded pinholes......I take it that you are making your own gesso?
Very important to
1. Strain the gesso through muslin or an old pair of tights...this will trap any air bubbles.
2. Really scrub in the first layer of gesso and quite thinly and stop working the gesso when it starts to drag and gell.
Keep all subsequent coats thin and build up.
There are quite a few topics on gesso and pinholes........suggest you do a search on pinholes.
R
Old 27-04-09, 12:26 PM

Yes, I saw on this website discussions about the pinholes. Especially interesting was the talk about the age of the RS glue. I think that was my problem with the last batch as it was the last bit of crumbs that Sinopia had on stock and it even had some dust and other stuff in it. Needless to say I had pin holes along the edges of my boards. Yes, I do make my own boards and my own paints. Exciting stuff!
Thanks
Rebecca
Old 28-04-09, 05:26 PM

I'd like to see enhanced contrast to develop the volume and presence of the flower. As lovely as it is (and it is a very nice painting), it would read more immediately as something with shape and volume if there was a greater range of tones and chroma.
in other words, contrast in lights and darks as defined by the light on the flower instead of by local color, and also (and perhaps more importantly) some movement from high saturation towards grays or complementary colors.

I wonder if some of this is what Phil would like to see as a result of more obvious layering.

It is possible that you're avoiding this explicit physicality, and conveying something of a festival of colors that also happens to be a flower, but if this is your goal, I'd suggest doing that to a stronger degree. Maybe even to the edge of abstraction. Such that it is more clearly that intention.

Again, these are fine points and suggestions. It really is a very accomplished piece of work just as it is. Thank you for sharing it.

Last edited by MatG; 28-04-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 29-04-09, 03:06 PM

Red face

Mat
Thanks for the input. I see I need to put in more layering in my paintings. Somtimes I think I put on too many. The painting has sat for about two months now, so I am not sure if I went back over it in areas if the egg tempera will stick.
Thanks
Rebecca