Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 16-10-09, 04:48 PM
Kelley Vandiver

Default New Dispersion's Company

Well, it's not a new company but it has just started making Dispersions. They are pretty well known for their traditional dry pigments like Lapis Lazuli and Hematite. They introduced dispersions this month and so far they have a list of about 8 or so and promise to keep adding to their list. Here is a link to their website: http://www.naturalpigments.com/ You can find the dispersions listed under watercolor paint (don't know why, really).
Old 04-11-09, 07:00 AM

Default New Dispersion's Company

I saw that too Kelley (I think I got on their ad list somehow), and it looks good to me. I may try it out. Have you tried it yet?

Mona
Old 04-11-09, 12:18 PM
Administrator

A couple of years ago I bought some dispersions from Guerra Paint in NYC. When I asked the salesgirl what the liquid was (i.e. water?) she said she didn't know, and the owner was out. I used the dispersions for a couple of paintings, but they had a "gummy" consistency and didn't handle the same as my powdered pigments. In a recent post, someone said he/she found out that the dispersion liquid was soap. It certainly is not water.
Dispersions are probably fine, but 1. I don't particularly like the way they handle and 2. Powdered pigments have been used for hundreds of years and have a proven track record.
Before buying dispersions from Natural Pigments, I would recommend asking them what the liquid is.
Just my 2 cents.
Phil
Old 04-11-09, 02:37 PM

There are liquid pigments (I hesitate to label them dispersions) that are sold by companies such as Mixol that include glycol. Perhaps Guerra's use glycol or glycerin also, which might explain the "soap" reference, Phil.

At Natural Pigments their information states:
"What are in the dispersions—just pigment and water?

The dispersions are mostly pigment and water; the few remaining ingredients amount to less than 5% of the dispersion formula and are naturally derived. Rublev Colours Aqueous Dispersions do not contain solvents, dispersing resins or other ingredients that may interfere with natural or traditional water-based paint binders."

The different dispersions I've tried (not Natural Pigments) tend to be thinner than what I can make from dry powders, but that's not unexpected. Also, because they're already in dispersion there's no need to do any grinding, which is more a convenience than a necessity.