Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 09-11-09, 10:29 PM

Default Dried egg yolk powder?

Has anyone here has ever tried using dehydrated egg yolk instead of fresh eggs? I know, it must sound blasphemous to the purests here, but I was curious about it anyway. In theory, it might be more economical than using fresh eggs, less wasteful (tossing out egg whites,) and the "just add water" aspect.

My next task is where to find it. When Googling, all I see are wholesale suppliers with large quantities.
Old 10-11-09, 04:21 PM

I bought some, but never yet had the time/courage to try it.

I found powdered egg yolks in The Baker's Catalog from King Arthur Flour. And a quick web check shows they still have it, in relatively small amounts, at

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...ggs-yolks-8-oz
Old 11-11-09, 02:27 PM

Thanks Alessandra. I found another place at a lower cost:
http://www.naturesflavors.com/produc...d=4355&cPath=8

This site states a shelf-life of 12 months, whereas the King Arthur site says just 2. They also carry titanium dioxide and gum arabic, but they look more expensive than art supply places. I suppose if the dried yolks don't work out I could use it for some pasta.
Old 11-11-09, 02:55 PM
Italian painter

Don't mind about "sound blasphemous" to essay, test, and verify is always valuable.

But I have a doubt about the theory:
- not is more economical because you must pay the work of deydratation, and pakage;
- not is less wasteful because any industrial process is more wasteful than any home process, (you can use the egg white to make meringue i.e.);
- the aspect "just add water" in not necessary because the fresh yolk is "already added water"

Maybe should be an idea tip over the matter and buy a chcken.

Last edited by cmunisso; 11-11-09 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 10:51 PM

If it doesn't work as well as fresh eggs then it won't matter. I don't see why it shouldn't but I need information on it before I can say that. Unless you get your fresh eggs directly from a chicken you're also paying for packaging as well as transportation costs. I suspect that the companies that make the dried yolks do something with the whites besides throwing them away as I would.
Old 13-11-09, 10:42 AM
Italian painter

My prior answer was quite facetious, because is more easy find a fresh egg instead dehydrated, in every food shop.
I never used the dry yolk, but if this process is cold (don't cook the yolk) maybe work well as every dry glue. I know this products are use by sweet-food companies, and I suspect you must buy a great deal of it.