Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 23-03-09, 02:42 AM
Tempera Painter

Hello Richard,

I like the rights for rabbits campaign the best. I say that being a vegetarian who doesn't eat bunnies, but nonetheless uses rabbit skin glue grounds to paint pictures of bunnies...so, go figure. I've no right to preach, and don't mean to. While I love understanding the archival issues of art materials, I don't feel its requisite that every painting be made to last a thousand years. An informed painter gets to choose which materials to work with - either more or less archival - and I just want et painters, particularly newcomers, to understand that choice.

Your comment about noting materials on the back is a really good one. Juan Martinez, a fine oil painter who teaches at the Toronto Academy, notes in permanent marker on the backs of his paintings all the ingredients of which they are composed. It makes a lot of sense both for the painting's owner, and any conservator who may have to treat it down the road. Alas, I am inconsistent regarding this sensible practice. I think it has something to do with that lazy thing you mentioned....

Okay, being the tempera techno-geek that I am, one more thing to mention for any beginners listening out there. The panels from www.realgesso.com are on a tempered hardboard; they are gessoed on only one side, and thus prone to warping; and I've also seen numerous pinholes in them. They were the only affordable true gesso panels on the market for a while and I used them for teaching regularly, so I appreciate their usefulness. However the recently rejuvenated www.truegesso.com panels are on an untempered board (generally considered more archival...there she goes talking archival again!), gessoed on both sides (to minimize warping), and much less prone to pinholes. They also use an exceptional rabbit skin glue, and I've already prattled on in other postings about the importance of the glue. So if you had to go with one I'd recommend www.truegesso.com. I have just another week of regular wifi access and then I'll stop monopolizing the STP Forum, I promise.
Old 23-03-09, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Koo, I think I speak for many others when I say that I'm always happy to hear anything you have to say on ET.
Old 24-03-09, 03:12 PM
Tempera Painter

Thanks for being so welcoming Jeff.
Old 11-02-10, 10:42 PM

Hi Koo, I would like to purchase anything I need when I purchase my pigments which I haven't yet done. I can't wait to get it all. Will you share your recipe for gesso with me. I am posting the picture that everyone loves and wants a print of on the critique forum and on my homepage. Hope you take a look. I am honored that you have shared so much with me. Thank you. Joanne (aka ms wings)
Old 13-02-10, 05:48 PM
Tempera Painter

Hello Joanne,

I'd be happy to share my gesso recipe, but its too long to post here. Please send me an email (to: info@kooschadler.com) and I'll send it to you via an attachment. I'm glad you're finding so much help on the Forum from so many different e.t. painters. Its a great resource.