Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 18-05-10, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistcb View Post
Thanks Jeff, and I like your idea of doing the wash over the panel as a first step. Do you do this in a color or just super lightly and wipe off or ?????
I do it as a semi-transparent and streaky mix of yellow ochre and burnt sienna. Usually this preliminary wash is completely covered in the final painting, but sometimes shows through in little flecks which is a nice effect.

My tempera technique uses opaque white paint to make my highlights, and I do not use the white of the gesso for my lights like a transparent watercolor would. Of course, if one relies on using the white gesso as an underlying light source, using an overall tinted wash is not the way to go.
Old 19-05-10, 09:44 PM

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this conversation lately. Most of the Panelli a Gesso panels I use are re-gessoed with Gamblin gesso mix. The panels on which I'm still using the gesso they came with do have some problems sometimes but I still can't detect what the problem is. They have been examined for surface problems like pitting and also cleaned with alcohol, but I still have problems with some of them. I think I'll just use those for oils !