Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 30-05-10, 02:59 PM

I've used cold sake to mix with my egg yolk to a nice handling result . I think the sugars in the sake help a bit as well.
Old 03-06-10, 03:53 PM

Okay, I'm a geek for charts, I admit it. How did yours pan out, vermilion9? Just in the interest of Science.

And congratulations on solving your problem.
Old 06-06-10, 05:38 PM
Gettin' Eggy With It

In the interests of science...all brush strokes done with a 000 W&N University Series 233 brush on Bristol 300 Series Smooth paper. Distilled water, EY and Isopropyl alcohol dispensed with an eyedropper. I have no real idea of how much umber I used. I tried to scoop out @ the same amount on my spatula each time.

Umber + water = 100 brush strokes
Umber + water + 1 drop Iso = 120 brush strokes
Umber + water + 1 drop Iso + 1 drop EY = 72 brush strokes
Umber + water + 1 drop Iso + 1 drop EY + more water = 40 brush strokes
Umber + water + 1 drop Iso + 2 drops EY = 60 brush strokes (less water)

Very uneven results. But, to be fair, I only did the one series of tests and haven't tried to duplicate those results. I live in Florida, so I am assuming that our relatively high relative humidity will have an effect. Judging by my chart, the alcohol must be less than the EY to achieve the best mixture and too much water is, ironically, not conducive to optimum flow. But, again, humidity will probably play a part in that.

Yay! Problem solved! I am more than halfway through my current project and if you guys promise not to laugh too much, or too loudly, I will post a pic in the critique forum.
Old 07-06-10, 01:46 AM

I have never had this sort of problem with any umber but I can only concur with some of the other points here and suggest that you use a dry white wine instead of water to dilute the egg yolk by half when you first make it and store it. Not only does it keep better and smell better, it also dissolves colours better and goes on more smoothly. It is an old icon painters trick. An interesting note here is that I did this using some gin once and it jellied the yolk. It still worked well but I think the alcohol content was a bit too high to use it like that.

jeff
Old 08-06-10, 03:01 AM
Gettin' Eggy With It

Dry white wine sounds like a better idea, Jeff - I never really thought of that. I guess I'll have to break down and buy some wine. (I will assume the white wine vinegar I have in the pantry won't work;)
Old 14-06-10, 03:36 PM

I believe that wine vinegar is also used sometimes, but it seems a bit of a risk with colours like ultramarine which are susceptible to acid.