Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 17-09-10, 11:14 AM
Fea

Default How to create a stable paintlayer?

Hi people this is my first question; what causes a tempera paint layer to misbehave?, that is; to split, to crack, to buckle...

I am not talking about the underlayer, the ground, but about the tempera itself. What are bad practices?, what must be avoided?

- Is there a limit at the number of layers that you can stack?
- How thick can you aplie a layer?
- How much drying must you give an average* layer?
- Is there a way to toughen up the tempera layer without adding too much "foreign" produkts?
- What do you people use as additives, besides vinager and water?

"average" is different for everybody of course :)

Furthermore, I am very happy to have found this forum, and I have a feeling that it is a small but very warm community.
Old 17-09-10, 01:03 PM

THin layers, as many as you want, dry enough not to lift when you apply the next layer.... my favorite additive is cold sake 1/2-1/2 with the yolk.
Experiment and have FUN
Old 21-09-10, 04:46 PM

Default How to create a stable paintlayer

Welcome Fea,

I must try cold sake, Eric, (that's one I haven't tried!), inexpensive white wine is what some icon painters utilize (one to one or two to one), and I generally prefer distilled water, (I use one to one and two to one at each painting session) and keeping my medium chilled with ice (have used tap water too, but due to the chlorine and other additives which may impact color permanence, I now prefer distilled water).

The one thing to avoid if using traditional egg tempera is any egg white in the medium whatsoever, which could cause cracking or chipping. Robert Vickrey has gone so far as to put his egg yolk through cheesecloth (similar to gauze) to "strain out any lost particles of sac, egg yolk fat, and globs of white."

On the other hand, mystifyingly so, it is also possible to paint with the egg white only with no problem, whipped up, and this is called glair. An artist who utilizes this routinely now is Altoon Sultan. (visit http://www.altoonsultan.blogspot.com to see more). Altoon calls this 'egg tempera' too, and probably rightly so, since it is technically speaking egg tempera, although routinely it is identified as glair to differentiate from egg-yolk based egg tempera.

I know she has provided a recipe for glair on her blog which she is happy with painting on parchment. Don't recall the exact post, but there is a search window on the blog. Happy painting.

Mona
Old 22-09-10, 02:39 PM

I'm sure the cold sake is the same as white wine, it's what I had on hand and now use, tends to extend the shelf life a bit and gives a bit more open time. I then dilute the 1/2-1/2 mix with water 1/2-1/2... is that what you mean when you wrote 1-1 2-1.......
Old 24-09-10, 05:27 AM

Default How to create a stable paintlayer

Yes, one has 50% egg yolk and 50% water (rounds out to about one tablespoon of water give or take depending on size of the egg and thickness of the yolk). The other has 1/3 egg and 2/3 water.