Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 24-09-10, 06:59 AM

Default Watercolor Canvas?

I saw an interesting painting done recently on "watercolor canvas" board, which I'd not heard of. It looks like 100% cotton canvas glued to board and gessoed over, but the painting results make it appear smoother than traditional canvas texture. I Googled over to a supplier of this product called Fredrix, but wasn't able to pin down if they might be utilizing a true gesso formula and touting it for watercolor.

If that is the case, has anyone on the Forum tried egg tempera on this surface? I'm curious.

Mona
Old 24-09-10, 01:17 PM

I think they use acrylic gesso
Old 25-09-10, 12:52 PM

It is an acrylic based ground that is more absorbent than their regular acrylic primed canvas. I have some and have used it for casein and gouache, which work well on it. The texture is like a fine grit sandpaper that can be hard on brushes so don't use brushes that you are fond of. Paint dries more slowly on it and the surface can take more punishment than paper.

Patent Info:
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2005047020
Old 28-09-10, 12:31 AM

Default Watercolor canvas

Eric and db, thanks. Hmmmmm....interesting, surprising about the sand-grit part.

I also contacted the expert at Fredrix last wk., but have not heard back from him yet. If I receive any additional info., will add it to the thread.

Mona
Old 28-10-10, 05:50 PM

Default Watercolor Canvas?

Spoke to the Fredrix expert, Rick January, last week who agreed with me it's probably not for egg tempera, since there is acrylic gesso involved, but he is sending me some samples anyway to try it out for other purposes.