Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 18-11-10, 01:54 PM
Tempera Painter

I too had heard (from an et painter who uses one) that egg tempera gums up an air brush. However I'm teaching a tempera workshop in Sedona this week and one of the students brought his air brush equipment, and thus far it is working great! Once he has properly tempered his paint, i.e. has his egg to pigment ratio correct, he thins the paint quite a bit, so as not to gum up the works. This means the layer of paint he is applying is super thin, and hence he has to do it several times to get coverage. He also is applying in between paint layers a very much watered down "nourishing layer" (as icon painters refer to it) of just egg yolk medium. He is an already talented and experienced illustrator with a sure touch and many years experience with air brush, which no doubt helps. His painting looks great - but for now I''ll stick with my sponges.
Old 18-11-10, 04:29 PM
Administrator

For smooth gradations, I use a kolinsky sable one-inch flat brush (not a round!). I mix up five different values, from light to dark and apply the paint in stripes, overlapping each one. It is important to vary the angle of the strokes. I then mix up five new shades, one value lighter than the first series, and thin the paint WAY down (once you have the egg/pigment ratio right, it doesn't seem to matter how much water you add.) Again, vary the angle of the brush strokes and keep the brush moving, or you will pick up the underlying paint. It seems that you are not applying any paint at first, but gradually you build up a "haze" of color over the underpainting. This creates a wonderful opalescence and gives a complex depth to the sky.

If you vary the colors slightly layer to layer, it makes it even more interesting.

It sounds tedious, but I can do a sky in an afternoon with a perfectly smooth gradation and absolutely no brush strokes visible.
Old 19-11-10, 03:12 AM
Framewright

Koo, PhilS, I would love to see some examples.

I did some porcelain restoration early in my career, using air brushes. NC Lacquer dries very rapidy, so you have to be aware of what the brush is doing. My experience, is that ET remains "soluble" for a short period after drying; but when I'm airbrushing color, it's all pretty quick, minutes, dry, a few minutes, more spraying, drying, building up the color. I started with spray equipment as a teenager, and the first principle of any paint application method, is don't let the paint dry on the equipment.

As to technique, I'm very willing to try new, see here, but when the new isn't better ... I'll stick with what works. I'm not much into arcane ritual, unless it gets me the image I want.

http://frame-notes.blogspot.com/

http://bronislausjanulis.com/Site/Home.html

Last edited by Bron; 19-11-10 at 03:23 AM.
Old 19-11-10, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Bron,
It's hard to tell from the web images, but if you go to my galleries at http://www.philschirmer.com, you can see several of my skies. "Buddha" and "Noon" are probably the best examples. What you lose in the web version is the depth created by the layering.
Good luck!
Phil
Old 21-11-10, 10:50 PM
Framewright

Phil,

From what I could see, the gradations are quite smooth; like Koo's technique, and yours, I'll try them. Feel free to email me some larger images: bronislaus@gmail.com

Thanks,

Bron
Old 24-11-10, 12:13 AM

Default Any tips on glazing a smooth sky?

Bron, I have preferred not using sponges on my skies, although I like the results others like Koo and Rob Milliken get with sponges. I don't like using air brush either. My approach is similar to Phil's although I don't think I've done as many as five different tones or that I'm conscious of being so methodical, but I blend using small strokes in multiple directions, scumbling and glazing. As Phil states, what is key is the build-up and the effect it produces, and I very much like Phil's description that a 'haze' builds up. There is no way other than seeing this first-hand, too, so online only gives you a vague sense of it, but the key is don't quit too early and don't think you can't blend with this medium; you can!

You are welcome to check out examples of blended skies on my website as well at http://www.monadianeconner.com (check my "nature, animals and flowers" gallery and my retrospective "illustration" gallery).

Mona