Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 15-12-10, 11:50 PM
Tempera Painter

Hello Bron,

Interesting about RSG. I've always heard/read (somewhere?) that rabbit skin (if you get the genuine deal) is generally purer, less likely to be made from scraps or rotten materials, better quality. Also, that genuine RSG is 100% collagen, which is preferable. I'm not sure what any of this all means. Given my ignorance, I think I will visit George O'Hanlon's www.naturalpigments.com site and see what he says - he is very knowledgeable...

George has a couple of different posting on Glues. Here's a bit of what I've just read:

From http://www.naturalpigments.com/detai...ID=510-21RSGL5 -
"It is a common industry practice to name certain types of collagen glue sold in commerce as "rabbit skin" glue to denote the bloom or gel strength of the glue. Animal glues vary in strength, but rabbit skin glue usually offers the highest strength, viscosity and elasticity. True rabbit skin glue tends to gel at lower temperatures, making it easier to use in gesso applications. Otherwise, glue made from bovine collagen are comparable. Collagen glues designated as "rabbit skin glue" have the highest gel strength, while those designated as "hide glue" is intermediate between that and glues named "technical gelatin," which has the lowest gel strength. Naming it "rabbit skin" glue, however, does not mean it actually consists of rabbit hides. We follow this practice, because if we named the product according to its source, then it would be called "primarily bovine hide glue," in which case artists would not be able to identify what they need. However, unlike most sellers of these products, we have identified the source of the collagen glue"

George also has an entire article on his site about hide glues; see http://naturalpigments.com/education...?ArticleID=111.