Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Here you may intoduce yourself

Old 01-02-11, 04:50 PM
<That's Andy ... I'm Bob

Default Newbie from Central PA, USA

Oh boy ... I really think that egg tempera will be the medium for me. I've done primarily watercolors for the last x number of years. Never really happy with them. Most people love them, and they always sell, but I just paint ... too tight. Too much detail. I don't like that in wc, and I can't seem to break the habit. One would think it would be simple to get looser, but ... not for me it isn't. And truth be told, I find it very relaxing to sit there and fuss and fuss with it until it's wrecked. :-)

So that's why I'm hopeful. I think ET will fulfill that little personality glitch I have.

I'm assembling supplies as we speak. I never venture into any new medium without first buying a disgusting amount of supplies. Another glitch.

Have been waiting for over 2 weeks for 2 books to arrive ... Vickrey's 'New Techniques' and Sultan's 'Luminous Brush.' Yesterday I emailed the seller (used via Amazon), and they said it must be lost and immediately refunded me the money. But as luck would have it, as I was browsing around for replacements, I discovered that Sultan provides her full book via a free PDF download. !! Here's the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CU5...page&q&f=false

When one considers that the one new copy of this book is a mere $340 on Amazon, and that the used ones start at about $80 -- free and immediate is a pretty good deal. !!

I'll try not to bombard you all with questions. I try to work things out on my own, and really don't like to ask stupid questions that I should be resolving by myself. But I will ask for opinions or advice when and if needed - and I'm so glad that I found this forum!
Old 02-02-11, 09:59 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. I share your proclivity toward fussing till things are "just right" and you are correct that tempera is well suited to this end. I caution you however not to fuss too early in the painting process. It takes several layers to build up a good opaque paint film. If you worry over details too early you may find yourself painting the same ones over and over.
Old 03-02-11, 01:23 PM
<That's Andy ... I'm Bob

Thanks for the tip. I will try hard to contain my raging fussiness and to conserve the 'fussy fun' til the end. :-)
Old 04-02-11, 11:03 AM
Administrator

A warm welcome, you will find the folks here extremely helpful.

Altoon's book can also be downloaded in pdf format from this site (50mb).

http://www.eggtempera.com/file_downl...nous_Brush.pdf
Old 04-02-11, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Fire away with questions, Bumpkin,
We're usually pretty amiable around here. We'll do our best to confuse you completely.
I agree and disagree with DLH. A finished surface over a messy underpainting can be very effective in ET—especially in backgrounds. However, if you are painting a portrait, for instance, it is important that your underpainting have as much detail and "finish" as the final layer will have. You would do a very detailed monochromatic rendering of the eyes, mouth, etc., then carefully glaze in colors on top. In the less-important areas you can loosen up.
ET is all about the interaction of thin layers of paint (with THIN being the key word). If you do it right, you can create effects with ET that you can't with any other medium.
Experiment. Ask questions. We're here to help.
Phil
Old 06-02-11, 01:24 AM
<That's Andy ... I'm Bob

Thanks for the nice greetings, folks. I'm glad this is a manageable sized group - small and friendly.

I interpreted DLH's comment to be, perhaps, more germane for a novice - don't overfuss the early layers, else I might start wrecking things .... at least until I get the feel of the correct water/tempera mix, painting thickness, etc. And he's probably right. I know it took me a while to get the 'hang' of the correct amounts of water and pigment to use in watercolor, how much to charge the brush, etc. So I appreciate the tip - hopefully my 'gaff stage' won't last too long. Time will tell.