Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 12-11-05, 03:19 AM

Mara,
What ground are you working on? Gesso panel? Paper? Something else? I'm curious about what effect a little time and drying will have on your paint film, ( with the inclusion of the egg whites and all).
Eric in Oceanside
Old 13-11-05, 12:46 AM
mara

Hi! I've only done one painting so far! I did it on watercolor paper but I might then glue it to board and roll it nice and smooth with a brayer. It's only been a few days but so far it's lovely paint. You can see it by clicking on the www button at the bottom of this message. Now take into account that this is my first try...
I've actually seen quite a few places on the web that ok the use of whole egg and one even mentioned to correct the medium's potential brittleness, adding gum arabic! How perfect for tube, huh? I liked that I could use it to dilute the paint without water for a really glossy finish. I then use it for topcoat too! For totally matte all I had to do is add a little water. Also more white means shorter drying time.
I can't wait to try this mix with dry pigments. I'll probably just add a bit of something to help out. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Mara
Old 13-11-05, 02:00 AM

Mara,
You might want to add a couple of drops of clove oil (I buy it at the natural food store, and use 3 drops / yolk) to your egg mix. The silverfish will surely feast on your beautiful painting here in California. It's sort of like a nouvelle dinner, in colour, served on a piece of paper.
Best,
Eric in Oceanside
Old 13-11-05, 02:04 AM
mara

Yeah, I really want to go get some of that stuff. I'm hoping it will discourage my dog from being so interested in it. Does it interact with any colors?
Mara
Old 13-11-05, 02:11 AM

Not that I know of
Old 13-11-05, 10:46 PM

The Hansa colors are synthetic organic pigments, many of which have been found to be toxic or closely chemically related to known carcinogens when they have been tested -- and most of them haven't been tested, to my knowledge. They should be treated with great caution.

In addition, synthetic organic pigments tend to be very difficult to work with. They must be mulled -- they cannot simply be stirred into water, like many other pigments -- or they will lift off in chalky powder when the paint is dry.

I find them to be generally more trouble than they are worth, and only use them sparingly.