Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 28-04-13, 03:05 PM

Default repairing painting

Part of a painting has been done without egg in the mixture. It looks flat in comparison with the part using egg.
What can be done? Overpaint using the correct mixture? Will that not remove the previous work and leave "holes"?
I'll be grate ful for advice.
Thanks.
Old 29-04-13, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berenice View Post
Part of a painting has been done without egg in the mixture...
What other medium was used?
Old 29-04-13, 05:27 PM

Default repairing painting

Only water.
The problem was that right at the start of the class the egg was knocked over and spilt.
Old 02-05-13, 09:12 PM
Tempera Painter

Hello Berenice,

Paint is basically three ingredients: pigment (the colors), binder (what makes the pigments stick to each other and the surface on which you are working), and a vehicle (which allows you to thin and/or push around the first two ingredients). Other things can be added to affect a paint's working properties, but those first three ingredients are the basics and most essential.

In egg tempera you have pigments + egg yolk (the binder) + water (the vehicle). If you leave out the egg yolk, you are missing an essential ingredient! The pigments have nothing to make them stick to each other or the painting surface. So your pigments could be easily wiped off, dispersed, disrupted. They absolutely need a binder.

If you haven't built up a lot of layers of pigments (which would be hard to do without a binder in the paint), a possible solution is to apply a "nourishing layer" over the whole thing. This is a thinned layer of egg yolk medium; i.e. egg yolk thinned with water - something like 1 part egg yolk to 6 or 8 parts water. If a nourishing layer is too thick and egg yolk rich, you'll lay down just a gummy surface - so make sure you thin it enough.

The very tricky part is that, without any binder in your under layers, applying the nourishing layer on top might just smear the pigments. So instead of a brush I would use a sponge to apply the nourishing layer, with a dabbing, on and off motion. Even doing that, you might pick up pigment and spread it over the surface - so you'd have to clean your sponge whenever it starts to pick up pigment. This takes some practice to do well, and frankly you might still end up with a smeared painting.

If you really love the painting you made, and want it to last, you could spray a fixative over the whole thing (since - if you just worked with pigment, no binder - you essentially created a pastel!). What fixative to use depends on the surface you worked on, how thickly the pigments are applied - other variables - hard to say without knowing more about how you worked. Did you work with powdered pigments, pigments pastes, or something else? What was your surface?

In the end, it may not be possible to make this piece last, regrettably...but I don't think you'll ever leave out the egg again!

Good luck,

Koo
Old 03-05-13, 12:48 AM
Tempera Painter

Just realized I didn't address your idea of overpainting with properly tempered paint...it might work, but you are correct in that, more likely, it will dig holes - and the underlying paint would not be properly bound. I don't think I would recommend doing so. The safest option is to start over, unfortunately )-:

Koo