Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 27-08-13, 04:06 PM

Wow Jeff, this is great information!!! I am overjoyed to hear about this Alumalite because I was already envisioning trying to join panels to get the size I want or to create diptychs that I did not want. Looking at prior postings I see that you use RSG. Do you have confidence that the bond will be long lasting? I assume you buy large pieces of linen or do you piece them together? Any inexpensive sources of linen?

If a 4'x8'x1/4" sheet weighs 20 lbs with gesso and cradling, I'm wondering how that compares to a 4'x8'x1/8" sheet of hardboard that is cradled with triangulated molding with 5-8 coats of gesso.

Thanks so much!
Lora
Old 27-08-13, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbrador View Post
Do you have confidence that the bond will be long lasting? I assume you buy large pieces of linen or do you piece them together? Any inexpensive sources of linen?
Yes, the gesso has a good bond to the linen, as well if not better than its bond to hardwood or mdf. Linen comes in rolls just like canvas, about 5 ft tall and many yards long. Any art supply source will carry it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbrador View Post
If a 4'x8'x1/4" sheet weighs 20 lbs with gesso and cradling....Lora
No, it weighs approximately 20 lbs WITHOUT gesso and cradling.