Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 11-09-13, 10:19 PM
Framewright

Default Turkey Eggs, cage free eggs.

I recently discovered to my horror, that "cage free" really doesn't mean squat in terms of the humane treatment of the animals. I'm very opposed to many of the industrial farming methods that are inhumane, and chickens are really treated abysmally. I'd rather eat and paint with an egg from a happy critter.

This afternoon I stopped at our local co-op where one of the vendors sells truly free range eggs. I hadn't preordered, and all he had left was turkey eggs, so I got the last dozen. I was assured that they taste the same as chicken eggs, but my real question is how are they as an ET medium. Anybody with experience?

http://bronislaus.com
Old 19-09-13, 09:41 PM
Framewright

Default Update

Turkey eggs taste like chicken eggs. They are, however, harder to break cleanly, the inner membrane is tougher, and the yolks seem thicker, and thus harder to beat, as in scrambled eggs. In fact, I don't think they could be scrambled right in the pan, as some like to do with chicken eggs. That's it culinary wise.

ET wise, I haven't started a new painting, busy, and doing "dry brush" watercolors. Soon, though. I can't see any problem, other than the thicker yolk needing more water to make it workable.

http://bronislaus.com