Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 16-01-14, 10:12 PM
artsyiconophile

Angry Kolinsky sable brushes in the US

Have the rest of you egg tempera artists here in the US noticed that kolinsky sable brushes are now impossible to find? The issue is caused by the US Fish and Wildlife Service with European manufacturers of brushes who source their hairs in China. Apparently, China is not filing the proper CITES (an international treaty regarding endangered species - though the kolinsky "sable" is not endangered) form for the weasel fur that is used for kolinsky hairs. Yet, it is the same form that has been used for years. European manufacturers are stating that the proper form is non-existent.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service states that Chinese exporters of the hairs are working on filing the proper CITES form. All of this went into effect in MAY of 2013.

Help! I need some full-bellied rounds! Does anyone have direct knowledge of sellers who are NOT having problems sending kolinsky sable brushes to the USA?

Thanks, all, for any help.

Best regards,
John
Old 19-01-14, 03:25 PM

Did you ry Rosemary Brushes? or Trekell?
>http://www.rosemaryandco.com/
>http://www.trekell.com/
Old 30-01-14, 01:27 AM
artsyiconophile

Smile

I did contact Rosemary & Co. Rosemary obtains the hairs for her brushes from Russia and Canada. Hope this helps other artists here in the US until this issue is resolved.

Best regards,
John
Old 27-03-15, 03:07 PM
old fart and trophy hag

used to be that you could get yarka brushes in the states, but a few years back richeson bought them out, and now the brushes are made in india, rather than russia. so i don't know if i'd recommend them. the old yarka brushes were good, and cheap, so i have quite the collection. if you can locate them, i recommend you get the entire stock.
Old 04-04-15, 05:11 AM

What am I missing? I use Winsor & Newton Series 7 sables almost exclusively. Mainly because the miniatures are unique and amazing for oil. Anyway, I panicked when I saw this thread but was relieved to find that Jerry's is almost fully stocked. Only the size 14 standard is out of stock, but at $750 each I'm not too concerned.
Old 12-05-15, 06:13 PM

Default Kolinsky sable brushes in the US

Just a note to John and all of you that yes, there was some importing issue of a certain kind going on for years with a number of the suppliers of some of the best sable brushes available out there, and among these the ones that I have most recently favored and then saw go out of stock almost immediately (for at least three years now I think?) have been the Da Vinci Maestro Kolinsky brushes, especially the line called 'miniaturist' in particular, for their short and fat shape to the base of the ferrule. I've seen recently that some of these are finally restocking now (at least I hope I'm right in seeing this over on Dickblick's web) so I'm hoping to be able to have the privilege of using the brushes of my choice once again. Rosemary brushes looked good to me too, but the hair length to the ferrule of this kind of brush is a bit long for me too I think. But who knows, may have to try them too if this thing continues any longer.
Old 09-09-15, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to marknatm
Default Russian Kolinsky

I have been away for awhile and am now back on the forum.

I have found that the Russian kolinsky brushes seem far superior to other brands I have tried. There is someone who handles long and short handled kolinsky and russian squirrel brushes from Nevskaya Palitra (same facotry as Roubloff) and Sonnet. He is based in Salt Lake City. The prices are quite reasonable also.

Mark

Last edited by marknatm; 09-09-15 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling