Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 05-03-15, 04:05 PM

I've done some study on the history of casein, and also have had some trouble with the use of the word "tempera" being either egg or milk. There are paintings in the British Museum from the Egyptian tomb of Nebamun that appear to be the oldest on record that I can find (circa 1370 BCE) and are only described as "tempera on gypsum" or "painted plaster."

As to the mixing of colors, I've read that in religious paintings as far back as Egypt, the colors in a limited palette had spiritual significance; therefore, mixing them together would have been forbidden. For non-religious art that wouldn't have been an issue.
Old 07-03-15, 04:22 PM
Tempera Painter

According to the curator at the Met, the earliest identifiable egg tempera painting is a mummy portrait from the 4th c. AD in the Petrie Museum in London. Here's a link:

http://petriecat.museums.ucl.ac.uk/detail.aspx#

Here's another link to an article that discusses binding mediums of ancient Egypt:

http://www.morana-rtd.com/e-preserva...a9_Mazurek.pdf

The Met Egyptpologist recommended two books on the mediums and working methods of Egyptian Art:

Ancient Egyptian Materials and Technology by Nicholson, Paul T.

Ancient Egyptian Materials and Industries by Lucas, A.

Excerpts of both can be read on line. I've ordered the actual books but haven't gotten them yet. Once they arrive and I get around to reading them (whenever that may be....) I'll pass on anything new I learn.

DB, that's very interesting about the Egyptians keeping colors separate. Can you remember where you found that reference? Perhaps the books I've ordered will address the topic.

Thanks for chiming in - very interesting comments.

Koo
Old 09-03-15, 04:12 PM

I can't recall the precise book reference, sorry. There were originally only six basic colors in ancient Egypt, and you can get this information from many sources. As the Pharaohs became wealthier I'm sure they expanded on that palette. There's also an issue with the chemical reactions of certain pigments they used when mixed with others. Orpiment, for example, from which they made yellow would react with lead white and turn black.
Old 10-09-15, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to marknatm

Thanks for the interesting information and discussion Koo. Quite fascinating.

Mark
Old 16-09-16, 04:32 PM

Default Aluminium Composite Panels

Hi Koo,

Fergus Ryan here from Ireland. I was at your workshop in NH several years ago. You mentioned the possibility of using aluminium/aluminum panels.

Are they prepared in the same way as mdf? Is an initial sealing with rabbit skin glue necessary or can the gesso mix be applied directly?
Old 22-09-16, 01:05 AM
Tempera Painter

Hi Fergus,

I remember you well, and your painting too Ė just checked your website and the new work is beautiful. Iím going to repost your question as a new thread because I think itís a good one and might interest other people.

Koo