Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 03-08-17, 06:28 PM

Thanks all for your impressive expertise, this forum is so great! I'm attaching a jpg of my underpainting (hope it's not too big). Hopefully it's thin enough. I like all the other ideas of underpainting methods too, I'll have to try them, I'm not as good on the tracing method.

Koo, I'm very interested in the info on efflourescence, since I'm having a problem with that in my oils. I store them in my garage studio which is far from climate controlled, can be anywhere from under 10 degrees to over 80. but it's my only storage option. I get white crystals, especially in the darks, and sometimes they will keep coming back. I'm getting the impression it might be a phenomenon of modern materials, at least in oils. If you know of any of your contacts who I could ask about it as regards to oils, I'd be interested.

What's interesting about this piece I've started is that I'm using a gessoed panel prepared in 1939 by magic realist painter Louise Mariennetti (1916-2009) who prepared several panels but never used them. I was lucky enough to be given them, so this painting better do justice to the panel! It's a bit rough but I'm loving the feel of the surface, I assume it's "old school" gesso, rabbit skin glue and white lead...

Old 03-08-17, 06:31 PM

Sorry, I guess that did display too big! Will remember in the future!
Old 03-08-17, 08:05 PM

I'm thankful for this exchange, because I've learned a lot. It seems to me that laying in an initial egg wash might in some way contribute to the migration of lipids, since you're essentially adding egg before you begin painting??? Also, if one of the roles of the gesso is to absorb lipids, then anything one does to decrease that ability (like adding a layer of shellac or fixative) might unwittingly contribute to the formation of bloom. Good to know that fat over lean doesn't really apply to ET as it does Oil paint, and that the paint bonding in ET is related to more than just a mechanical bond. Even though we all know a slick surface isn't the best for adhesion, and egg rich paint layers result in a "waxy" paint that's not very durable.
Old 03-08-17, 08:42 PM

Whether an initial egg wash contributes to fatty acid migration and resulting issues (i.e., haze or efflorescence) would depend on factors such as the absorbency of the ground and total amount of egg yolk in the layers of paint.

Tags
underpainting