Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > Archived Common Topics > On Supports and Grounds

Old 08-08-03, 03:52 PM
Anonymous

Default MDF

Just bought some green MDF which I am using to prime using an oil primer is this green MDF ok to use? I heard that the green has some sort of water proofing embedded in it, and told not to use it, I'm just seeking a second opinion.
Thanks.
Old 08-08-03, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Steven,
The green stuff is impregnated with a water resistant chemical and is known as MR MDF. Moisture Resistant Medium Density Fibre Board. It usually has a green dye added or a green strip on the edge of the panel.
I would not use it for supports for water based gessos.
Rob
Old 29-08-03, 02:58 PM

Default MDF?

Please clarify for your ignorant American members.

What the heck is MDF?
Old 29-08-03, 10:52 PM

Iwas under the impression that MDF was not a very permanent surface because of all the formaldehyde that it gave off. On the other hand I use it because it is a nice surface to paint on after it has been sized and gessoed. It does seem to warp very easily too. Can anyone enlighten me further about its permanence?

Jeff
Old 31-08-03, 10:03 AM
Administrator

MDF panels are manufactured from dried wood fibres which are bonded together under heat and high pressure using Urea Formaldehyde resin. The pressed panels are fine sanded to a smooth and consistent appearance.
Formaldehyde is the main cause for concern in the manufacturing and subsequent cutting and machining process. The industry is searching for an alternative bonding resin.

Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) is universally used in the manufacture of furniture, cabinets, door parts, mouldings, millwork and laminate flooring. This leads me suspect that once the machining and cutting is completed there is little risk from the formaldehyde resin. If it is safe enough for the above home applications then surely it must be safe enough as a support for painting.

I have used MDF for well over 15 years now and so far none of the panels made up then show any signs of deterioration. I have experienced warping but put that down to possible inferior brands. I make up the gesso panels as large as possible and then cut them to size. This seems to minimize the effects of warping. It is also best to apply almost an equal number of coats of gesso to the reverse of the panel and to do so in one session. That is, one coat on the front, allow to touch dry, then apply a layer to the reverse and so on.

http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/fpt/mdf/starter.html
Good information on this site.