Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 02-02-07, 04:20 PM

FYI: I was shopping at a local Jerry's Artarama yesterday, and picked up a couple panels. They're made by P.E.R. Belle Arti in Italy and are called "Panelli a Gesso." Cost @$15 for 11x14". It's traditional gesso on a poplar veneer panel @ 1/4" thick. The surface feels very nice. One I bought was gesso, the other was oil primed (@$26,) and they had some with cotton canvas mounted to them primed with acrylic.

http://www.pieraccini.com/Default_html/lng/en
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-su...es/online/4139
Old 03-02-07, 02:55 PM

hi

I do begin to use canvas for egg/oil emulsion - I use strong linen, one coat rabbit skin glue, then glue a rather thin coton cloth on it when it's dry (one more glue coat+ put the coton in the glue, then put it on the linen (gosh I can't explain this in english!!!) I press it with my hands so that the adherence is perfect and there are no air bubbles

then when it's dry one or two coats of gesso (not more otherwise it's too brittle)

that's OK for egg/oil tempera, I don't know for pure ET...

Sabine
Old 04-02-07, 01:00 AM

I think I understand, Sabine. You are making a very stiff laminate with the cotton and the linen and gesso. I suppose this is done while the linen is on the stretcher frame? Do you gesso both sides as well?

jeff
Old 05-02-07, 05:47 PM

jeff I just gesso one side, as you would do for oil painting - yes, I do it while the linen is on the strecher frame (or at least I suppose so, I can't find "strecher frame" in my dictionnaries :oops: )

and the wole (linen+coton+"light" gesso) STAYS on the frame and must be handled very carefully...

it make a more stable surface than simple streched canvas and you can work on much bigger scales than with wooden support without getting too heavy

that site does certainly strech my english :-)
Old 06-02-07, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Sabine,
Your English is completely understandable. Do not worry or apologize. (Perhaps we'll ask you to translate the entire site into bilingual francais/nederlands!)
In English a stretcher is also called a chassis. Strictly speaking, a stretcher should have expandable corners. One with fixed, immovable joints is a strainer.
Dennis
Old 06-02-07, 09:47 AM

Thank you Dennis :-)

"Chassis", allright, why didn't tell you so? :lol:
For the translation, I have some doubts about my abilities, with all the technical and very specific language!! and don't rely on my dutch, it is really awfull...

But thanks for your trust anyway!!
Old 07-02-07, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Sabine,
Have no doubts. I am sure that the majority of regular contibutors here are fully appreciative of your hard work in translating to submit a topic. You have the upper hand, you speak a number of languages which most of us don't. Your contributions are valued so don't let language barriers get in the way.
Rob
Old 07-02-07, 09:56 AM

the fact is that I have no choice if I want to get the informations, there is no equivalent of this site in french (or at least I didn't find it...)

jeff, if you want to try it, remember the glue must be quite warm and you should proceed quite quickly...

I found the indications in "La technique de la peinture l'huile" from Xavier de Langlais, wich does mention a few ints for ET (you CAN find SOME informations in french!)
Old 09-02-07, 02:13 AM

It can't help your translating if I get the spelling wrong. Sorry Sabine. I do find this information very informative.
Old 09-02-07, 02:53 AM

Another question, Sabine. The gesso you use on the linen/cotton: is it an oil emulsion gesso or just the same as we would use on board?

jeff