Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 21-04-06, 06:07 PM
banditt_adams

Default recreating historic use of egg tempra. project questions

Hello,

In an effort to bring history to life, my group www.GothicGermany.org has set our eyes on 15th century pavise/pavase/pavaze (archers' shields). Some of these shields are highly decorated in the finest gold leaf, depicting St. George or other grand religious or leader figures of the continental Armies using them. On the other hand, the standard shield made use of simple icons or symbols, far less grand in the scope of its decoration.

All of these shields had one thing in common (so far as my research into Germanic use states) that Artist painted them through a specific guild contract with the shield making guild and took great care in their work, despite the intended use; for ceremony or battle. As modern man hangs paintings on thier walls, the men of the middle-ages hung these shields and proudly displayed them in camp or off the sides of the wagons while on the march.

To stay true to these historic eddicts, I wish to put every bit of care into the painting of my reconstructed shields, using the very same pigment technique was used then. guess what was used: egg Tempra. Egg tempra was the paint of the time and was used to decorate thier tents as well (another project for later).

Ill be floating about the site in an effort to further my understanding of egg tempra creation and application techniques, but I thought if it wasnt too much to say "hello" and let you all know what I was up to.

If it might be alright, as I come to stumbling blocks, as I am sure to do, may I ask about you fine folks here for aid?

If anyone else has any interest in this type of project, by all means let me know. I live in northwest Ohio, USA and if you are in the area or feel like the drive, I am more than willing to have you out to the house to get in on the project as well!

Kindest regards,
Old 21-04-06, 06:41 PM

Welcome to the site. I think you'll find it full of helpful information and people. Like most people here, I'm an egg tempera artist; my background includes a lot of technical studies, and a love of Renaissance history ever since I was a tot. If there's anything I can help you with, I'd be glad to.

If you haven't already got a copy, I suggest the Dover reprint of Cenninno Cenninni's "Craftsman's Handbook" (translated by Daniel V. Thompson), an early fifteenth century how-to manual devoted mainly to egg tempera painting.
Old 21-04-06, 06:48 PM
banditt_adams

no kidding? thats fantastic! Ive never heard of that book, thanks kindly.

Im sure Ill take you upon your offer for brain-picking soon or later ;)

thanks kindly,
-Jason
Old 22-05-06, 07:01 PM

You might want to start by researching the correct spelling of the word "tempera."
Old 23-05-06, 12:09 AM
banditt_adams

thanks for being so helpful there buddy. Be sure Ill come straight to you for all my concerns!
Old 23-05-06, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditt_adams
thanks for being so helpful there buddy. Be sure Ill come straight to you for all my concerns!
You haven't asked any questions. I've done a fair bit of research on 15th century painting methods and materials and have been involved in Medieval re-enactment for more than 25 years (though I've never painted a shield with egg tempera). I or someone else on this forum may well be able to assist you with documentation or practical advice for your project. Or, if its coming along fine without any help from this group, show us how it's coming along.