Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 21-05-18, 03:02 PM

Default Rublev Tempera Ground over Clayboard

Hi all,
I have some Clayboard panels that are just OK for Egg Tempera so I was thinking of giving them a coat or two of Rublev Tempera Ground to improve the surface. Does anyone see a downside to this, or special preparation I should do to the clayboard panels? I'm worried the adhesion to the slick clayboard surface might not be good.

Thank you!
Kathy Hodge
Old 22-05-18, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
I have some Clayboard panels that are just OK for Egg Tempera so I was thinking of giving them a coat or two of Rublev Tempera Ground to improve the surface. Does anyone see a downside to this, or special preparation I should do to the clayboard panels? I'm worried the adhesion to the slick clayboard surface might not be good.
Kathy, that's a good question and the answer is that if the surface of the Ampersand Claybord panel is "slick" lightly abrade it to give it more "tooth". Use a fine grit (360 grit or higher) sandpaper and then remove all dust from the surface with a fiber-free cloth. Never use tac cloths to remove dust from the surface.

You may also want to apply several coats of Rublev Tempera Ground to the panel to increase the absorbency of the substrate.

Although we have not tested Rublev Tempera Ground on this surface, we do not see any reason why it should not adhere well, as it was designed for porous and rigid substrates.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by Georgeoh; 22-05-18 at 05:45 PM.
Old 24-05-18, 11:05 AM

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks, I did lightly sand them, I'll report back how they turned out.

Tags
clayboard, grounds, rublev