Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > Other Art Related Issues

Other Art Related Issues Discuss other art related issues not connected with tempera

Old 16-03-07, 09:24 PM

Default Kilz

Sorry, Kilz is not shellac. Bulls-eye is white pigmented shellac. Ki;z ia thinned with Turps or mineral spirits. Not that it matters.
Old 16-03-07, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Just to further complicate matters, Kilz now makes a water-based, latex product.
I used to buy Kilz white-pigmented shellac many years ago. What they replaced it with is an alkyd resin primer that thins with mineral spirits. The only shellac-based primer I've been able to find lately is made by Zinsser, called B-I-N. Zinsser also makes Bulls-Eye primers in oil- and water-based versions.
B-I-N will stick to about anything and stop just about any stain from bleeding through, like pine wood knots and ballpoint pen. But, it skins over quickly, so keeping a "wet edge" may be difficult and roller overlaps will be more apparent than with latex or "oil" primers.
Dennis
Old 17-03-07, 01:35 AM

Just a quick post (got to read the kids bedtime stories...). I've been in contact with Golden Acrylics, and they say they "strongly disagree and state NOT to use a shellac based primer for outdoor applications."

I'm probably going to use acrylic gesso mixed with some tough, hard version of acrylic medium (because I can't get an auto shop to prime it, which was another recommendation), use my best judgement and diligence for durability, and hope.

It's helpful to be dealing with outdoor weather issues, since what I deal with normally is so indoors and sheltered.
Old 17-03-07, 04:40 PM

Default Primer

They don't disagree with me because, I did not recommend shellac for outdoor priming. I recommended XIM. I have used Zinsser products for 60 years. B.I.N. use to be called Bulls Eye, useless except for touch up indoors. I do not recommend Kilz for long lasting outdoor priming.
Old 18-03-07, 12:33 PM

Thanks so much, Bert, for your generous help. It's nice to have someone with so much experience willing to share.

On the globe front, I haven't got mine yet, and when I contacted them they told me they were having unexpected delays in the production of the things (I think the project is much bigger than they first expected, too). They hope to have mine to me within a week or so.
Old 18-03-07, 09:57 PM

It's my pleasure Al. This is one of the little joys I have in life.
Old 27-03-07, 08:01 PM

Hooray, I've got my globe! They delivered it Monday noon and I spent the afternoon priming it. Right now I'm in the wait-24-hours-after-priming-before-painting period, so I actually have time to post. I don't know if I'll have much time once I've started painting, particularly since the deadline is so tight.

The thing is big, a good bit taller than I am. I have to use a ladder to paint the North Polar region. Oddly enough, it looks bigger from a distance and seems to get more manageable as you get closer.

Thanks for all your well wishes. Here I go.
Old 28-03-07, 07:48 AM

Good work and ggod luck :-)
Old 18-04-07, 12:20 AM

It's done, apart from the isolation coat. The Cool Globes people are taking care of the varnishing, which is a great relief.

I'll do the isolation coat tomorrow, and that will be It.

The original deadline was 22nd April (Earth Day, by happy coincidence), and I've made it. Phew.

Also, my neighborhood newspaper asked me some questions and took some pictures, so there might be an online article soon.
Old 18-04-07, 09:40 PM

Yes! My globe's in a story in my neighborhood newspaper! The following link will work for only one week from today -- the Herald does not archive online, it just replaces each week's paper with the next one.

So, for ONE WEEK ONLY: http://www.hpherald.com/pg3.html

(Editors Note..The article is now shown on page 3 of this topic.)