Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 27-03-08, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Alex,
Perhaps someone on the forum who varnishes his or her paintings would better be able to answer than me, how long to wait before varnishing. I would guess at least a couple of months. Probably, the longer the better.

I would love to find a hard but reversible, semi-matte protective coating for my paintings. I'm always astounded by how much better the paintings look when I remove them from under glass in their frames. I'm just afraid of their getting dirty and scratched if I don't keep them framed that way.
Dennis
Old 27-03-08, 11:07 AM
Administrator

I don't mean to throw cold water on the varnish enthusiasts, but I've found that if you wait a couple of months then take a wad of cotton and carefully buff the surface you can achieve a beautiful soft sheen. Even the matte areas (generally the dark spots) buff up to an even gloss.
I'm not sure what you gain by using beeswax or varnish of any kind. I can't imagine beeswax would protect an et from getting scratched.
Phil
Old 27-03-08, 01:02 PM
Administrator

I don't varnish my temperas, either. But, I know that one of the main reasons that you would want to use varnish is the same as for oil paintings. Varnish protects the paint surface from airborne dirt. You'd be surprised how much crud lands on surfaces ands adheres, even if no smokers are around. You can remove the varnish with a mild solvent and take the crud away. But, if it sticks to the unvarnished painting -- oil or tempera -- removing the dirt can often damage the paint film.
When I clean the glass that covers my temperas, I'm glad that all that greasy, sooty gray stuff did not land on my painting.
Also, when I used to exhibit temperas without glass or lucite glazing, occasionally they would come back to me with a scratch. Varnish can protect against slight scratches, but not anything caused by a little heavier pressure.
D

Last edited by Dennis H; 27-03-08 at 02:07 PM.
Old 27-03-08, 02:34 PM
Administrator

My apologies, Renaissance is a micro crystalline wax.
From the current product I am using I only get a low level of sheen unlike Dennis's experience with the same product.
Old 27-03-08, 05:54 PM

Wax won't offer much protection from scratches, in fact they tend to show up more. It also tends to attract dust, but isn't too difficult to clean or repair. One caution is to make sure whomever ships the paintings for you doesn't place them in an overheated container.

I've tested out various varnishes on my caseins, and so far mineral spirit varnishes show the best potential, but they all tend to alter the paint surface somewhat. I'd like to avoid glass whenever possible.