Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 04-11-11, 02:27 AM

Default Break Out Your Blender?: An interesting video on egg-oil emulsion

Something to check out if you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQmAbO6Kt5s

It is an interesting five minute video I found this evening. It's by Rob Howard, and he nicely demonstrates preparing an egg-oil emulsion in a blender, and using it to make an underpainting over which oil paint is applied directly.

Mona
Old 07-11-11, 10:59 PM
Tempera Painter

Thanks for finding this Mona. I'm going to give it a try.

Koo
Old 26-02-12, 03:33 PM

Have you given this a try yet Mona or Koo?
Old 27-02-12, 12:23 PM

You don't have to use a blender to mix it well enough. Just use a fork or wisk and whip it until it's well combined. Adding the oil slowly is important. It will stay blended for several hours, but you may start to see some separation after it sits of awhile. In which case, just stir it up again.
Old 28-02-12, 03:46 AM
Tempera Painter

Hello Salamander,

I've played with several different emulsion recipes and am still experimenting. My favorite so far is: one part egg yolk (no white); one part drying oil (I've been using linseed but I'm going to try walnut); and one part damar. I measure the ingredients with a measuring spoon, one tablespoon of each. I first combine the yolk and damar, then whisk in the oil one drop at a time (as db said, the blender isn't necessary). The resulting medium has the texture of mayonnaise. I don't add water to it - I just combine medium with pigment (equal parts) and then thin my paint with water as needed.

Its fun, but I'm not won over yet. It doesn't blend colors (for smooth transitions) any more readily than does pure ET - the paint still lifts if overworked. If I add more oil to the mix to make it more painterly it will blend better, but then I lose the fast drying time and crispness of ET. The one thing that is different is that the darks are a bit more saturated so it extends the value range, which I like. I'm mostly still working in pure ET, but this summer I'll be working on a big painting using the emulsion so I'll let you know if I learn anything new.

Koo