Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 19-05-11, 10:46 PM

Default black and white

I am using a titanium white made by Kremer called XSL. It is a very strong pigment with good, opaque covering qualities, however, I find that once it has been used it is very difficult to glaze over it without it dissolving on contact with a wet (damp) brush, even a couple of days after laying down the white. Am I using the wrong white for the job? am I not tempering it correctly? Am I not waiting long enough? I also had a similar problem using India ink (Higgins) on (true)gesso for my drawing as Daniel Thompson recommends, in this instance the black ink would dissolve when painted over leaving a grey mess. I have since stopped using India ink but I am curious why a normally waterproof ink should behave like this on gesso. If anyone out there has any suggestions I would happy to hear them.
Thank you. Juan
Old 20-05-11, 01:30 PM

What is the source of your gesso panel? Regarding the ink under drawing, it sounds like the gesso is dissolving due to not having enough rabbit skin glue in it. The surface is too powdery.

I assume if you're using titanium white that you're putting it over other darker colors? Have you been able to get other pigments to apply correctly? If so, you probably need to add more egg to the titanium. Do the test of mixing up your titanium white as you normally would, paint an area on a glass palette (or surface), let it dry and use a single edge razor to scrape it off. If it peels off in nice, clean curls it's tempered correctly. If it crumbles or seems brittle, it's under tempered. On the other hand if you've struggled with applying color in general, the gesso could be the problem.
Old 20-05-11, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottawms View Post
What is the source of your gesso panel? Regarding the ink under drawing, it sounds like the gesso is dissolving due to not having enough rabbit skin glue in it. The surface is too powdery.

I assume if you're using titanium white that you're putting it over other darker colors? Have you been able to get other pigments to apply correctly? If so, you probably need to add more egg to the titanium. Do the test of mixing up your titanium white as you normally would, paint an area on a glass palette (or surface), let it dry and use a single edge razor to scrape it off. If it peels off in nice, clean curls it's tempered correctly. If it crumbles or seems brittle, it's under tempered. On the other hand if you've struggled with applying color in general, the gesso could be the problem.
I think I agree with Scotts thoughts, though I seem to always have issues with some lifting even after a number of days. You can't go over the paint too much or it will lift for sure.
-Silver
Old 21-05-11, 05:26 AM

Thank you for your replies.
I prepare the gesso panels myself. I think that rather than too little RSG the gesso in question may have been too hard, the india ink acted in a similar way as on my ceramic mixing tray, that is to say it washed off. The panel had also been lying around for over a year and maybe had collected dust or grease that may have had a part to play in this.

The titanium was not used over darker colors. Being new to ET I was first (unsuccessfully) trying to get subtle gradations on a painting of a white plate, and later a light sky. When this did not work to my satisfaction I painted over these areas with titanium and then tried to lightly cross hatch gradations into the white, it was at this point that I noticed the titanium white dissolving on contact with the brush making it very hard to get an even passage. I let the painting stand for a couple of days and tried again with similar results.

I'll try painting on glass and scraping as you suggested Scott at my earliest opportunity. I noticed though that the titanium white takes on a sheen when buffed almost right away.

Juan