Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 03-03-08, 07:15 PM

Here I thought MDF and hardboard were pretty much the same thing. Thanks for setting me straight!
Old 07-05-08, 02:33 PM

Default birch plywood for ET

I have only recently been experimenting with birch plywood for panels. I have been using the imported plywood (variously called Russian, Baltic or European) because it has more layers. Starting with 10-mm thick plywood, I glued on the raised border traditional for icons. The panels are rather large (36 x 40", for example) and I have used rabbit-skin glue size and gesso. The problems I have encountered are warping (up to half an inch along the 40-inch length) and some cracks along the joint between the border and the inside of the panel. The latter could be due to gesso getting too thick in the crevice, or gaps in the joint. The warping is not really noticible, but it does cause problems when painting in the petit-lac technique, and I am concerned what will happen with the still-larger panels to come.

I actually have had very good results (albeit with smaller panels) with what woodworkers call "glue-ups" -- they take a solid wood panel, cut it in strips lengthwise along the grain, reverse every other strip and glue it back together. You can often find these sold as surplus in hardwood or cabinet-makers' supply stores, in birch, poplar or aspen. They are quite stable, and the glue that they use does not seem to bother the sizing and gessoing process.