Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 30-09-09, 08:55 PM
Tempera Painter

Default Blended Pigments

Hello all,

Has anyone tried the colors from The Earth Pigment Company (www.earthpigments.com) that are a combination of pigments: natural mineral earths blended with synthetic organics? They are said to combine the stability of a mineral pigment with the greater color intensity of a modern organic. Ive been playing with a lemon yellow and an enhanced green earth, and like them quite a bit so far. Id like to know if anyone else is familiar with these products (a pre-made pigment combination), what their experiences are, and what they think of the idea in general.

Koo
Old 01-10-09, 12:17 AM

Default Mineral earths

I have tried several of them, and like most of them....the Blackcurrant Red is wonderful. I find them perfect in small touches here and there, but have not used them for the basis of a whole painting. Most of them are quite strong, but work for me very well.
Gainorc
Old 05-10-09, 09:36 PM
Tempera Painter

Thanks Gainor. I think I'll buy blackcurrant red for the name alone (which, I suppose, is why they gave it that name). Do you, or anyone else, know how these pigments are made? Its confusing to me, because the natural earths have large particle sizes, whereas the synthetic organics have very small micron sizes, so how do they combine the two?
Old 06-10-09, 12:16 AM

Default Blending Pigments of different sizes

Hi Koo,
I have no idea how this is done. I will say that the two combo pigments I bought "Blackcurrent Red" and "Lavender Blue" feel different from natural earths that I have tried. I also bought a lot of the oxides from Earth Pigments and both the SOF Blue and Green are colors I reach for quite often. Truth is I would buy ALL the mineral earths and ALL the oxides if I had the money. I add a few every now and then because they are so useful in special places.

Gainor