Egg Tempera Forums

Go Back   Egg Tempera Forums > The Forums > The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues

The Forum for Tempera Painting Issues Sharing the knowledge and experience of fellow tempera painters.

Old 25-04-11, 09:19 PM
Gettin' Eggy With It

Default Calligraphy atop ET?

I am working on a new project in which I want to lay down a wash of yellow ET and then do some calligraphy on top of the wash. Is there a way to rule the page and then erase the rulings once the calligraphy is applied without damaging the underlying wash? Also, is there anything I should know about applying ink atop ET? I plan on using one of my gesso panels, if that makes a difference.
Old 26-04-11, 03:56 AM

experiment first!!!
Old 26-04-11, 02:19 PM
Gettin' Eggy With It

Well, yes, obviously! I just had the crazy idea someone on here would have some good advice and save me all kinds of time and paint and frustration. Well, DH works launch countdown tonight so I'll have plenty of time to experiment while he's gone.
Old 28-04-11, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermillion9 View Post
Well, yes, obviously! I just had the crazy idea someone on here would have some good advice and save me all kinds of time and paint and frustration. Well, DH works launch countdown tonight so I'll have plenty of time to experiment while he's gone.
If it were me, I think I would use a light chalk lines that I could brush off when the ink dried.
I would also probably use thinned white E.T. instead of ink in one of those pens that you dip into the ink.
Just my .02 cents. Good luck.
Old 29-04-11, 02:59 PM

You could mix yellow dry pigment with denatured alcohol (or Everclear) until you produce paint of a soupy consistency. Then brush it on a sheet of tracing paper and allow the alcohol to evaporate. Flip it over and rule your lines on the tissue allowing the pigment to transfer onto your surface. At that point you'll have dry pigment lines as your guide. Once you complete your lettering, I would guess you can brush the remaining pigment away. The key here is to use the same pigment you used for your wash. If a faint line remains, it would be the same color as your background (since you used yellow pigment) and would probably not be that noticeable. I have never personally tried this, just offering a suggestion. As always, try it first on a test surface.

Last edited by scottawms; 29-04-11 at 03:01 PM.
Old 29-04-11, 03:16 PM
Gettin' Eggy With It

That's a really good idea. Thank you. I've a few ideas floating around my head and I'll add this to my little list. I can't wait to get home to my table and start experimenting. I need to get my butt in gear because this is for a birthday present and I only have @ 3 weeks to get it done.

If it turns out half-way decent, I'll post it.
Old 30-04-11, 05:34 AM

I think I'd go along with silverlining's idea. maybe a light grey pastel. then you can brush it away. you might even be able to add some water to pastel dust and using a dip pen rule a fine line, (after all you are only using it for a GUIDE to your calligraphy.)
Old 01-05-11, 05:50 PM
Gettin' Eggy With It

Yes, I only need it as a guide - I hate the look of beautiful lettering atop ugly lines. After some experimentation, I have discovered that pencil laid down lightly on ET does, indeed, erase. Not all of my pencils erased, though. I'm not sure why but it may be because of how I did my experiment. I laid down cad yellow light in 6 separate squares on Bristol paper. Then, I gave each square a different amount of drying time before drawing pencil lines on them and I used a variety of pencil-lead types. It turns out drying time wasn't as important as I thought it might be and that the best pencil lead is in a government issued mechanical pencil I have. Now, all I have to do is wield this stupid pen well enough to make my lettering readable!

I'm trying the dry (and damp) pigment method today in conjunction with the pencil. I want to see if I can keep the pigment lines from smudging as I work my way down the page. I am also concerned that the pencil lead won't completely, completely erase even though it looks like it will. Oh well...onwards!